What are safe levels for ph,ammonia,nitrate and nitrite?

seegert

The pet shop I got my fish, inverts,and lr from failed to tell me about water testing and safe levels. I should know these by now, but don't. I am worried about this, I want my tank to survive and thrive, so I am asking for advice. Please help me! Thank you! :mad:

greg803

they should all be at 0 ppm Nitrates are hard to keep at 0 and will vary they are the least harmfu of the 3. Nitrites and ammonia will kill quickly. best way to keep water clean is do water changes oftenl

seegert

my ph is 8.2
alk showed normal
I am not sure how to read the ammonia (temp is 24C, ph is 8.2 and the ammonia number to throw in the equation is .25)
nitrate is 20
nitrite 0.05
I am sure something is off, I couldn't find the "good" level numbers in any of the papers in my test kit. So I tested, I just don't understand what the levels are...( good, bad, in between?)

greg803

your ph is fine. How long has your tank been set up. everything is high do a water change
about 25%-30% you should do one about every 2 weeks

camar0

Along with water changes, check this out:
AmQuel Plus: {edit link}
I have had good results with keeping water levels near 0
sometimes you can get cheap like on ----, otherwise check out {Edit Link - out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, we ask that you please not request/post links to other stores, thanks!
}

ophiura

IMO, stable water parameters comes with tank maturity. If your tank is properly stocked, fed, filtered and maintained, there is no need for any additives at all.
What test kit are you using? Some are notoriously poor...just plain bad actually.

seegert

Originally Posted by Greg803
your ph is fine. How long has your tank been set up. everything is high do a water change
about 25%-30% you should do one about every 2 weeks
set up for 2 years. My pet shop is dumb! I just now found out about water testing! Thank god there are no fish in it, just my 6 crabs and a cleaner shrimp..... I am surprised they are still alive! So water changes will fix the problem( slowly of course)?

seegert

Originally Posted by ophiura
IMO, stable water parameters comes with tank maturity. If your tank is properly stocked, fed, filtered and maintained, there is no need for any additives at all.
What test kit are you using? Some are notoriously poor...just plain bad actually.
I am using a Red Sea Marine Test Kit from this site. Is it any good?

ophiura

If I am not mistaken...it is worth a search...but Red Sea is notorious for a "false" reading of .25 on ammonia.

seegert

If I am not mistaken...it is worth a search...but Red Sea is notorious for a "false" reading of .25 on ammonia.
I am not happy about that! I really hope you are wrong because I don't have money to blow on another test kit! :mad:

ophiura

Originally Posted by seegert
I am not happy about that! I really hope you are wrong because I don't have money to blow on another test kit! :mad:

Well, it might be interesting to take some RO water and run a test on that. In theory, you can "zero" this out.

ophiura

I won't go into the whole process on Reverse Osmosis. It is basically moving water and seperating out impurities using a semi permeable membrane (allows water but not larger molecules through). Here is how it works:
reverese osmosis
In some cases, another type of filter - a "DI" or deionization unit is added to create even more pure water by removing some of the smaller things that did make it through.
You can get it any number of places...those big "glacier" water or windmill machines at the grocery store, home units that sell for around $100 or so or bottled water in the grocery store. Just read the labels and you will be surprised

mark_d

WOAH!!!!.... care to elaborate a bit on that? now im scared O__O so very scared...
tests say .25... but in reality... they are more like... what? Im really hoping you say 0... but somehow Im guessing its more towards the other end . . .

promisetbg

Originally Posted by seegert
my ph is 8.2
alk showed normal
I am not sure how to read the ammonia (temp is 24C, ph is 8.2 and the ammonia number to throw in the equation is .25)
nitrate is 20
nitrite 0.05
I am sure something is off, I couldn't find the "good" level numbers in any of the papers in my test kit. So I tested, I just don't understand what the levels are...( good, bad, in between?)
It sounds like your tank is still cycling. Do you understand how the cycle works? Do not do a water change at this point,it will just prolong the process.How long has this tank been set up , what size is it? How much livestock is in it?

saltysand

Just out of curiosity , if your tank has been set up for 2 years why didn't you read up on the subject before now? I couldn't imagine being set up for a day not knowing anything about saltwater aquaria. I hope everything turns out ok for you but please read read read and ..........................................................read some more. I read up on marine aquariums for a year and have still had a rough go of it . THis site is fantastic for helping , just come back anytime and ask questions and also use the search method at the top to look up different subjects. Good luck.

ophiura

Example thread on red Sea (just do a search on this board for "Red Sea Ammonia .25"
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.phpt=218995
In general, the actual reading is 0...it reads high. This is why it would be interesting to test water that should be a "known" 0, such as distilled water, and see what color it turns. It is a type of correction or zeroing of the test, which is actually quite common in water analysis.
As for the above, I will have to say that it is better late then never. I kept a "saltwater" tank for at least 5 or 6 years before knowing anything about it...and certainly not "testing" water. Why? because I had kept a freshwater tank of course. And people often trust their local store as well, and they can be seriously misinformed.
This person is here, now, and we have an opportunity to help from this point forward. Reading is definitely good advice
but they found this sort of site long before I did.