What are some good water condtioners

lmforbis

It is a mixture of chemicals to get the correct calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I use Bulk Reef Supply's 2 part. Everything is already measured all I have to do is add water. It is important to test the water before adding anything.

lmforbis

I buy the kit that costs 4.99.
I started with their starter kit that has the bottles too.

lmforbis

It is just called a 2 part kit preportioned

The starter kit is called the starter package (preportioned)

dangerfish

good, so is the doseing system something I need or something I can avoid to try to stay as cheap as possible (I have a hard time keeping this rule):):D

lmforbis

Unless you have a ton of coral you should be able to get by with out adding anything. Weekly 10% water changes should be enough to keep the levels good. The more coral you have the more likely you will need to dose.

bang guy

Imforbis is probably right.

If you do decide to begin dosing be sure to test for the major elements to ensure they do not get too high and to get an idea of the proper dosage. The general dosing instruction on the packaging is rarely the correct dosage for your system.

beaslbob

what is a diy 2 part system
try searching for Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley improved diy 2 part system.

It is basically a diy calcium, carbonate (alk), and magnesium system. And uses calcium chloride, baking soda, Epsom salts and magnesium chloride. Calcium chloride is available from concrete redimix companies for like ~25 for a 50 pound bag. It is used to speed hardening of concrete at lower temperatures in winter. It and magnesium chloride are also used as paving/sidewalk Ice melters also. Magnesium chloride is harder to find but I found a local industrial supplier. it was more expensive at ~$30 for a 50 pound bag.

There are also companies as mentioned that sell lessor quanties at lessor prices.

The 50 pound bags will last literally for decades on any normal sized aquarium. I used to give it away at local frag swaps so perhaps some locals around you may have some.

At any rate I suggest you review the on-line articles. It is a very good explanation of how and why to dose calcium, carbonate, and magnesium

my .02