what are the top 3 best brands of.....

ric maniac

what are the best three brands of acoustic guitars? my parents said i could pick a new one out for christmas.

nigerbang

Can't go wrong with a Dean, I have one and love it, kinda heavy price. Mine was around $2500. Taylors are nice also

S

surfinusa

I also have an awesome dean acoustic guitar but they are usually a lot less than that around about 200-300 is the more common price but I forgot to add mine is an electric acoustic.

nigerbang

Can't go wrong with a Dean, I have one and love it, kinda heavy price. Mine was around $2500. Taylors are nice also

nigerbang

Sorry about the double post(blackberry) I had a Dean dime edition on the mind. LoL my acoustic is a Martin

bessycerka

Gibson, but you'll spend over a grand. Martin is also expensive, but the DX series ( made from laminate like Formica ) has an awesome sound for about 4-5 hundred. If you play the DX Martin and then play the $3,000 Martin back to back, you'd grab the DX ( I did once ) as the $2,500 difference in price vs the slight tonal difference is just not really worth it. The DX has a nice meaty, full tone, and is a good value. I have since upgraded to a Gibson J-45 that is a beautiful sounding acoustic, with the pickup under the bridge for a great electric sound too, but the price tag was $1,800. Epiphone ( by Gibson ) has an acoustic/ electric with a single cutaway and a built in graphic EQ for around $350 - to$ 500. That was a great guitar also, there are so many out there, try to get one with a good re- sale/ trade in value in case you want to upgrade later.
the Epiphone pr5-e is around $400 and is a solid, well built, good sounding instrument

tne1cancme

There are so many great guitars out there, your best bet is to go to a shop that has a wide variety , sit down and see which one speaks to you.
But you wanted a list.
Here's mine
under a grand 1. Ovation 2. Takamine 3. Alverez
Over a grand 1. Guild 2. Gibson 3. (toss up) Martin or Taylor

ric maniac

ok, i think i am going to get the dean exotica andes. if anyone has a reason as to why i shouldn't i would really like to know because i want to make the right decision.

tangman99

I say go to a music store and try out every thing you can get your hands on. Buy what feels and sounds best to you. Try to get a solid body guitar instead of laminate. The more you play it, the better they age and sound.
Some other great guitars you can check out that have a very nice entry price and great quality are
Larrivee - http://www.larrivee.com/2_Main/main.html
Seagull - http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm
I have played both of these and they are great guitars with the best going to Larrivee.

cowfishrule

there are great brands out there, but what is more important is what feels and sounds good to you.
sure you can pick up that $1100 takamine acoustic, but if it doesnt feel right, then your not going to play it.
my suggestion is to take your time, visit a couple of different places.
dont worry so much about looks.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
there are great brands out there, but what is more important is what feels and sounds good to you.
sure you can pick up that $1100 takamine acoustic, but if it doesnt feel right, then your not going to play it.
my suggestion is to take your time, visit a couple of different places.
dont worry so much about looks.

Thats true...I went one time to go buy a Les Paul...Didnt like the way it felt to me..Did not get it..I love the look and sound..Just wasnt for me though..

m0nk

Guild, Martin, and Taylor. Takamine is good for a lot less money, but if you can put some quality into the purchase, might as well.

shogun323

I have always been a huge fan of Taylors and I always planned on getting one. But I ended up going with an American made Breedlove. It cost a little more but the tone is absolutley amazing and it plays great!
If you are a beginning player then I agree with Tangman, go with a Larrivee. Also, I played an Alvarez AJ60SC for years and it's a great guitar for the price.

tangman99

Originally Posted by shogun323
If you are a beginning player then I agree with Tangman, go with a Larrivee. Also, I played an Alvarez AJ60SC for years and it's a great guitar for the price.
Larrivees start out retail at about $1000.00 and go up from there. However, I'll put it up against a Martin and Taylor in the $2000+ range any day and I've played quite a few of them both. Don't get me wrong. I love Martins and Taylors, but you can get lesser known guitars that are just as nice for less. What you won't get with the Larrivee at that price is pretty inlays and rossetts. It's plain looking but pretty doesn't make it sound and play well.
Alvarez does make nice guitars for a lot less money. I've played a few of the Alvarez Classical guitars. I personally have a hand made CY-95 Yairi that is imported by Alvarez. It's a $2500 Classical Guitar and I can easily fill a large room with a lot of volume effortlessly. And being all solid woods, it sounds better and better the more I play it. I've had it about 3 years now and it is really starting to open up nicely.

shogun323

Originally Posted by TangMan99
Larrivees start out retail at about $1000.00 and go up from there.
I clearly have Larrivee confused with another brand. I thought they started in the high $300's.