What are these???

muckworm

Ok, just wondering what a couple things are that I noticed in my tank....
1. On one of the small pieces of live rock that I put in my tank about 3-4 weeks ago, there is this stuff that looks like white algea or cotton growing in a patch. Not sure what this is and Im hoping its not harmful.
2. There are also these little green bubbles popping up on various peices of rock. They look like little balloons or something. I think they came in off of the same peice of live rock that the white cotton stuff is growing on.
Any ideas here would be helpful, let me know if you need more info... thanks!

bang guy

Cotton stuff kinda sounds like a sponge of some type. Is it firm or does it sway in the current?
The green Bubble is undoubtably the nusiance algae called Valonia. I believe it's the largest single celled organism. I'd get rid of it before it startes to spread.

muckworm

the white stuff does not sway in the current much, maybe a little...
what is the best way to remove that green stuff?

muckworm

Nice, I actually wanted to add one of those fish.... will they get along with yellow tangs? What happens if they pop?

cap'n pete

Depending on what stage the bubble algea is in, popping them may cause them to "seed" the rest of the tank. Usually getting them before they get too big is the key. Try and get it all out before it gets out of control. Some people have luck with emerald crabs eating bubble algea. HTH

bang guy

Originally posted by Muckworm
Nice, I actually wanted to add one of those fish.... will they get along with yellow tangs?

If you have a large enough tank a Yellow Tang and a Foxface will form a tenuous truce. If your tank is't very large (less than 6' long) one of them will eventually become submissive (prolly the Tang). It may not die, but it will not be the free ranging beautiful fish that we expect.
Foxface are also venomous so be careful if you get one.