What are these?

Kristin1234

I was cleaning the algae off the glass this morning and in my overflow department I found these guys chilling on some purple algae.
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg

I'm thinking some kind of copepod? They have arms and legs and are running around the bottom of the chamber as well.

pegasus

Unless you have a super macro lens on that camera, they're likely not copepods... as most copes in the marine hobby are smaller than 2mm. I can't tell how big they are in the pic, but to get a shot as clear as that, my guess is amphipods. Amphipods can grow to nearly half an inch, but it's usually closer to 1/4"...

Kristin1234

Unless you have a super macro lens on that camera, they're likely not copepods... as most copes in the marine hobby are smaller than 2mm. I can't tell how big they are in the pic, but to get a shot as clear as that, my guess is amphipods. Amphipods can grow to nearly half an inch, but it's usually closer to 1/4"...
Yeah they are tiny but I used my phone to take the pic. They aren't that tiny.

Harmful or just let them be?

What's the difference between cope and amphi pods?

bang guy

They are beneficial detrivores and excellent supplemental fish food. They are not part of the Amphipod family, they are in the Munnidae family.