What Came First...!?

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Well...
The point I was trying to make is that according to evolution, two non-chickens mated, and then the female layed some eggs, and at least one hatched into a chicken. the egg it came from would be a chicken egg...therefore the egg came first.
CE(today is national Pi day! seriously!)LA
actually, the egg would be a non-chicken egg... as it came from a non-chicken...
and darth... i dunno...

ophiura

A non-chicken by whose definition? So in short you would need several taxonomists before there would be any hope of a chicken. And usually they will disagree until you get a "good" taxonomist who says it is a chicken but there will always be grumbling and disagreement until that taxonomist dies and they decide it wasn't a chicken after all.
Sadly, BTW, this is the answer to "what is a species" (another topic). We don't know what a species is to begin with, except that it is what a good taxonomist says it is. A taxonomist in general will not describe a single specimen, but at least 2 specimens, and would not describe a species based on a known juvenile. Therefor, the chickens came before the egg.

molamola

Once we figure out the answer to this question, we may unlock the secret as to why the chicken crossed the road.

celacanthr

Originally Posted by jdragunas
actually, the egg would be a non-chicken egg... as it came from a non-chicken...
and darth... i dunno...
no, that would be a non-chicken's egg, not a non-chicken egg. In the phrase "non-chicken's egg", the statement "non-chicken's" is showing possession of the word "egg", but in the phrase "non-chicken egg", the statement "non-chicken" is acting as an adjective, and it is describing "egg", therefore the egg that the first true chicken came from would indeed be a "non-chicken's egg", but NOT a "non-chicken egg". (Once again if you believe in evolution)
CE(Semantics)LA

reefiness

Chicken- if the egg would have come first then it owuld have died because of not having anything keep it warm.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by MolaMola
Once we figure out the answer to this question, we may unlock the secret as to why the chicken crossed the road.

According to Anheuser Busch.........it crossed the road to get a beer

I still say chickens came first

agent707

Actually, neither came first. It was a Dodo before it was anything.
Ya see... The way scientist try to explain Dodo's extinction is all wrong. What REALLY happened to the dodo
was way back when... when the world was Flooded and all the animals were on the Arc... Ya see, chickens didn't exist then, Dodo's did.
Noah was going to send a Dodo bird out to look for Land.. but it was too Chicken to go do it. So noah said to the Chicken... You Chicken! I'll give the job to someone else then! At that moment, the dodo became extinct and God transformed them into Chickens and said,
"Because you are too Chicken to fly out over the Ocean, you will be food until the End of Time! And they will eat your Eggs too!"

So you see, neither the Chicken or Egg came first... Dodo's did.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Agent707
Actually, neither came first. It was a Doodoo
before it was anything.
Ya see... The way scientist try to explain Doodoo's extinction is all wrong. What REALLY happened to the doodoo
was way back when... when the world was Flooded and all the animals were on the Arc... Ya see, chickens didn't exist then, Doodoo's did.
Noah was going to send a Doodoo bird out to look for Land.. but it was too Chicken to go do it. So noah said to the Chicken... You Chicken! I'll give the job to someone else then! At that moment, the doodoo became extinct and God transformed them into Chickens and said,
"Because you are too Chicken to fly out over the Ocean, you will be food until the End of Time! And they will eat your Eggs too!"

So you see, neither the Chicken or Egg came first... Doodoo's did.

hmmm interesting story, but if you are talking about the "Dodo" bird they were killed off by humans, wild pigs/boars and ferral dogs...

agent707

Originally Posted by ruaround
hmmm interesting story, but if you are talking about the "Dodo" bird they were killed off by humans, wild pigs/boars and ferral dogs...
Naw.... wasn't talking about those.

agent707

Originally Posted by ruaround
Ooh, my Oo key was stuck... can you believe that?
Don't know what I was thinking.

treybom

if they did come from evolution wouldnt the egg have came first because as whatever the chicken started as slowly evolves wont it lay eggs and eventually wont eventually a modern day chicken come out of the egg so therefore the egg would come first?? hopefully this makes sense ! lol