What can i do????

nissan577

i have had my pico for about 2 months now and i have seen no zoanthid growth at all. i feed my tank a variety of stuff and i have a t5 36watt light over it.
what could it be? and what can i do?

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3237769
i have had my pico for about 2 months now and i have seen no zoanthid growth at all. i feed my tank a variety of stuff and i have a t5 36watt light over it.
what could it be? and what can i do?
Hey Nephew!! Ha Ha Ha. I actually get good growth out of my zoas. for ex; I just got the jokers a couple weeks ago, I bought 7 polyps, and have counted twelve total now. The only thing I add is kents microvert for all my coral, and dose my tank with iodine. Oh, and I use reef crystals salt.

scopus tang

Best thing I've found for zoanthid growth is good flow, ample lighting, and stable water parameters, especially dKH. IME, the larger the volume of water, the better they seem to do - which I feel is because of stability of parameters.

debbie

Your like me Nissan we want immediate growth with our new lights....

I have also heard of iodine additions but I don't think I would do it with your 3 gal and my 5 gal.
Water changes, good flow, good lights which we both have is all they should need and tons of patience.......

nissan577

i love our lights! and i know patience but still i want growth. they told me to add cal and alk.

debbie

I guess you could if you want, I would not add it to my tank though. Its to risky with these small tanks.
All they need is regular water changes with good salt and that has everything they need it there.
But you also have sps right??
If you do that is where the calcium is going I would think but be careful it you add to that tank. Would hate to see you loose everything.

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3239351
i love our lights! and i know patience but still i want growth. they told me to add cal and alk.
Here is something I got from another website:
For Leather Corals, Polyp Corals, and Mushroom Anemones

Calcium: Helps maintain high pH
Strontium: Helps with proper health & growth
Magnesium: Helps prevent premature calcium precipitation
Buffer(Alkalinity): Buffers pH
Iodine:Helps enhance coloration & coral expansion
TraceElements: Helps facilitate enzymatic & photosynthetic reactions
PlanktonSuspension: Provides nutrients that are not produced by the target organism
Vitamins: Helps maintain health, color; facilitates biological reactions
For Small or Large Polyp Stony Corals,
Giant Clams

Calcium: Helps build skeleton/shell
Strontium: Helps build skeleton/shell
Magnesium: Helps prevent premature calcium precipitation & helps stabilize pH and alkalinity
Buffer(Alkalinity): Helps build skeleton; Buffers pH & helps maintain proper calcium levels
Iodine/Iodide:Helps heal damage due to excessive light exposure
TraceElements: Helps facilitate enzymatic and photosynthetic reactions
PlanktonSuspension Provides nutrients that are not produced by the target organism
Vitamins: Helps maintain health, color; and facilitates biological reactions