What color for the cabinets?

scotts

OK, my wife and I are both engineers, which means neither one of us has any decorating sense at all!!! Well here is our kitchen which we just recently painted key lime pie green. We like that color and want to paint the cabinets and install hardware on the cabinets. The problem is we have absolutely NO idea what color to paint the cabinets. We painted some of them yellow first to see how it would look (Where is the puking smiley face) and also to force us past the point of no return. We now HAVE to finish the cabinets. We are also going to paint the island. Anybody have any constructive ideas?

scotts

Here are some more. And to answer your question, Yes we do like Chock full of Nuts coffee.

spiderwoman

The key lime color is very restrictive, but I'd actually stay with the same cabinet color and switch appliances to SS instead :) Maybe even change the flooring to something more warm. Just my $0.02 worth, coming from a builder family :)

sluggo

When my wife and I bought our house and gutted it and remodeled it we painted a good bit of the place "seafoam green". We tied this with "Coral pink" to give us the Old Miami Beach look. It was actually very nice looking together.
Don

lovethesea

SS appliances are astronomical in price. I know, we just bought a new stove and micro. It will be a few years for the fridge.
We are going through this right now. But we are actually changing out our cabs and coutertop.
We "refaced" the cabs about 11 years ago, and are ready for new ones.
Those cabs look oak? Can you look into maybe preparing them for a new finish/wash? I would say paint them white, but your tile is white.

ric maniac

I would paint over the key lime with some sort of warm color, maybe a dark brown, gold or even very dark purple. Switch all of the appliances to stainless steel, and tile the floor with either a black, brown, tan or hardwood.

scotts

The funny thing is in thepicture the cabinets look OK. In real life they look just plain horrible.
Spidey I agree that making changes like that would probably be better, but I was looking for something a little more....Oh what's that word??..... Oh yeah, CHEAPER.
We are not ready to tackle a kitchen remodel yet. I tried and failed. Also Wife's job is a little volatile right now, No reason to sink the money inot a remdel yet. In a couple of years it will be take it all back to drywall and concrete and start from scratch. But for now I guess you could call this our practice remodel.

phelpz

I just helped my brother paint his kitchen.
His girlfriend picked up a little flyer from Behr and decided she was going to do her kitchen just like one of the pictures.
So, she opened up the accent color, Carmel Latte, and didnt like it.
She didnt realize it never looks like the picture....
I would just go back to Home Depot, or wherever you got the paint from and look at the palette that the Key Lime green was on and go from there. I know at Home Depot they have designers, or people who claim to be in where the cabinets, and bathroom fixtures are. I would track one down and ask their opinion.

phelpz

Ok, I figured it out.
I'm really bored....
Go to Behr's website.
Click on EXPLORE COLOR
START COLORSMART
when it pops up and loads choose COLOR/NAME NUMBER
type in KEY LIME
SELECT
COORDINATE
SEE COORDINATE COLORS/MAIN
the it gives you what colors match it.

scotts

Whoa, All these great responses while I was typing. I had not thought of the Pink shades. They would probably look good. I might go get some paint chips of that. I know that purple is supposed to be a good contrast for green, just have not tried it yet. We have thought about resurfacing the cabinets, but the house was built in '79 so the cabinets need to be replaced sometime anyway. We saw some of the paint brochures and that is where we came up with the idea to paint the cabs. Like I said in real like they are just plain awful.
LTS, so what are the deatils of what you are doing?

scotts

Phelpz, THANKS I will do that!
T3, Not sure what type of granit it is, I could find out if you are interested. When we bought the place the range was actually in the island and there was a POS oven where the cats are. When that oven broke we bought the oven/range. Then put the granite on the island and made the oven area into a display area. This is the granite, plus you can see what shape the cabinets really are in.

digitydash

You could just remove the door.Sand the cabnets down and go get some oak or what ever wood you like and make some new doors.Pu some stain and clear coat on them.Put some new hinges and handles.It not to hard to do.Probly could do that for about $150.You would be amazed what a different door would do.

zman1

I like the cabinets the way the are, you could add knobs and handles to the doors and drawers to dress them up.
Actually, we have a similar color floor. Off-White tile with a dark grout. My sister put in tile with a light grout and just looked horrible after two years. which is why we chose dark, she ended up tearing it up after 5 years and replacing with linoleum.
My bother-in-law has SS appliances with a little kid and there are always paw prints all over it. Good luck with your choices..

spiderwoman

What if you sand down your old cabinets and apply a nice stain still keeping the look of wood? White is so blaaah and pained never looks too nice.

t316

Yes, I see it better now in those last photos. That's UbaTuba. That's the same granite I have all over my whole kitchen.

scotts

We decided not to do the refinishing thing on the cabinets. well not so much we, the look of disgust I got the NO left no room for discussion.
T3, Cool about the granite. Do you have the slab or tile? we think the stuff is pretty cool.

lovethesea

the only reason I suggested a different stain/wash/finish is because of your white tile countertop/back splash. White paint with your white appliances and white top/splash may be too much.
When we did the "refacing" we did the same as you guys. Got rid of the cooktop and the wall oven.
Right now we are putting in new maple cabs and a quartz countertop. No major construction with the exception of replacing some drywall where we are taking out some aging tile behind the stove. We are a pretty tight budget so we are trying to just get a nice face lift without spending $20K.
Cabinets are crazy in price. major rip off. We shopped a lot because name means nothing, just quality. These days quality is an upgrade. Go figure.

We are starting this mess in a few weeks, so I will post some pics.