what corals can i have

aanthony

Ok, so i currently have a 45 gallon aquarium (48x12x20) anyways, before my tank crashed, i have a toadstool leather, green zoanthids, and a red mushroom, unfortunately these all died, they were all quite high in my tank, however my lighting was horrible, i had 1 36" flourescent blue bulb (40watt). and one white 24" flourescent bulb 40w. Its not much, but i do not want to invest alot into lighting since im getting a bigger tank in a few months. So right now i have 2 48" blue flourescents 40w, and the blue 36", now this is not alot of light, im at like 2.7 watts per gallon (i know this is a horrible way of measuring). now my question is what kind of corals can i keep in my tank.

hot883

I personally would not waste my money on anymore corals until you get decent lights. Blue spectrum all the way is not the way to go.
If you even spent $100 on 260w of PC's you could keep mushrooms, zoanthids etc.

aanthony

yeah, good point, the thing is i had zoanthids, a mushroom and a large toadstool living uder less lighting

aanthony

the toadstool kindof had a rough start because i had it low in the tank, the polyps were still extending but the leather itself was a bit limp, but the second i moved it higher up it was doing great, fully extended and opened, the zoanthids were multiplying quickly and the mushroom was doing fine. the zoanthids were hitchhikers on the rock by the way.

aanthony

can someone help, i was planning on getting these orange ricodeas (sp) in the next few days, and was wondering if these things would die

aanthony

yes, and then i stated that i had less lighting and kept corals, i had 1 24" white light and it supported these, so im wondering why 2 48" and 1 36" high in the tank wouldnt support them

T

tiberius

You would need white actinic bulbs and not blue bulbs. If you want blue bulbs then go for the Actinic 03 which is a true actinic. Stay away from those that state Actinic 03 Blue. :thinking:

aanthony

out of curiosity, what do the white lights offer that the blues dont, brighter? is there any science to why corals dont grow under blue lighting, btw i forget what they were but they are all different types of blue, one has a purple to it, the other is a very strong light blue, and the other is another strong but darker blue.

T

tiberius

I have had the Actinic 03 Blue lights and my corals do better with the True Actinic bulbs or just plain Actinic 03.

T

tiberius

I have kept mushrooms real good with my lights which are the 40 watt bulbs. I wish I could get into the T5 bulbs. I would go with the 2 48" white actinic and 1 48" actinic 03.

aanthony

any other stories of people supporting corals with simillar lighting, come on people i know your out there.

X

xnikki118x

If you're upgrading in a few months anyway, just wait until then to put corals in your tank. No sense in getting new lights now if you're really set to upgrade.

teen

with the money your going to spend on a few orange ricordias, you could be halfway to a decent light.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by AAnthony
any other stories of people supporting corals with simillar lighting, come on people i know your out there.
They are probably too embarrassed to admit it like me!