What do I do when the power goes out

dangerfish

I haven't got my tank yet although im close I've just been preparing for it so I was wondering what do I do when the power goes out which does happen more then it should where I live. I was wondering if there was a product that I could use. Or some steps that I should take.

lmforbis

Some people use a generator. There are battery backups you can get. I usually just wait it out. Mine rarely goes out so I haven't had many issues.

dangerfish

Do you know any of the battery backups brand names because I experience several power outages a year and sometimes they can last all day. And although i haven't had the power go out in the winter it is possible for it to happen and I don't really want my fish (when I get them) to freeze to death because Utah sucks in the winter.

florida joe

I don’t know much about this BUT living in Fl I get my fair share of power outages. For short term outages. What in my opinion is paramount in an outage is gas exchange and water movement. The majority of gas exchange accrues at the surface. In an outage use the container method. Take any type of clean cup, pitcher or other container, scoop out and fill it with aquarium water.

Hold the filled container some distance above the aquarium, and pour the water back into the tank. Repeat this process numerous times. The water splashing back into the tank will generate oxygen in the water. You can buy a battery driven air pump and put an air stone in the tank. As for water movement . a battery operated hand blender will do or even just use your hand to move the water around periodically

bang guy

a battery driven air pump and put an air stone in the tank.
This is all you need. Buy a couple or several of these depending on tank size. They provide gas exchange as well as significant waterflow. Be sure to keep plenty of batteries around ;)

Personally, I keep a generator but here in the winter can be brutal if power goes out.

ifirefight

I live in South Florida and we have power outages all the time..In the short term its not really an issue. For long drawn out power outages..(like a hurricane).I have a generator..but for shorter times I have a 1000 watt inverter that you can attach to your car/truck battery and plug whatever you need into it..I can run my whole 150 gallon reef tank on that. Obviously you will need to be home and have fuel in the truck/car.a few extension cords...but as long as you dont run out of gas you're good to go...Im not sure how long my truck can idle on a tank of fuel...but Im guessing a very long time..