What do I do with this rock/coral??

My in-laws went to Hawaii and brought me back some small pieces of live rock that they found. They kept it in freshwater in a plastic shoe box. They said that the water is smelling pretty foul lol right now. So what should I do with it? I've been neglecting my saltwater tank for about 3 months now
and I want to get back on track. I still have some clownfish, crabs and a starfish. (don't know how they are still alive) anyway, what should I do with this rock??

nikesb

when i last went to hawaii, they said taking lava rock back with you would result in bad luck. if you think about it, the live rock is actually lava rock. i would toss it...

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3264126
when i last went to hawaii, they said taking lava rock back with you would result in bad luck. if you think about it, the live rock is actually lava rock. i would toss it...
How do I know if it is lava rock?

jchase1970

if you want to use it, then you need to clean it. the fresh water would have killed all the saltwater critters by now. so you can cure it in a bucket of saltwater. Or you can boil it or bake it and then give it a good rinse in saltwater and it can go in the tank.

stanlalee

if you like it cure it and drop it in. I think your in-laws may have perpetrated a felony as live rock imported from hawaii is hard to export and hard to come by. Matter of fact I've only seen it for sale in limited quantities once.

ryancw01

Well, they shouldnt have taken live rock but it is already here so I would boil it for at least 10 minutes to get all the crud out of it. When I went to Aruba, I took a small dead dry rock from where they destruct the reefs to put in new hotels. They have huge piles of them everywhere. I still have it in my tank.

I would just get rid of it. It looks like everything died off on it anyway. But if you wanna keep it you'd hafta start over with it to prepare it.