What do I need for Anenomes?

marting83

Obviously, I'm new at Saltwater Aquaria. What do Anenomes need thrive? Lighting? Food? Special Devices? Any help would be much appriciated!
Martin

sistrmary

They need a lot of light and high quality, very well established water to even have a fighting chance. Even then it depends on the anemone. As for food, krill, squid, mysis...pretty much anything.
Read, read, and then read a bit more about them before getting one. They're a pretty expensive mistake that a lot of people new to the hobby make.

iechy

If you are new to salwater you should definately not get an anemone for a very long while. Anemones are very difficult for even the most experienced aquarist to keep alive.

sistrmary

Seconded :D They really are not the best thing for new people to acquire. Most experienced aquarists won't get them either (Experienced especially in watching them slowly disintegrate)

marting83

Thanks for your help. I haven't even bought my salt water aqaurium yet... still learning. So I Will leave those animals alone for a while. Would a percula clownfish be happy without one or should I leave the clown fish alone too? Keep in mind that I have been working with fresh water fish for 7 years now and have fish that are 6 years old, so I am no stranger to aquariums in general.

iechy

Yes he will be happy. Although clownfish can hav arelationship with an anemone, they don't need one. Probably 80% of the people on this board have clowns with no host anemones for them. I do recommend getting a perc or false perc as they are great fun and very hardy. Good luck with your tank. Stick around and ask lots of questions. This board has been invaluable to me so far.

lucentclownfish

Just a tip If you have a filter and I bet you do, Please if you do like anemones and pay the high dollar, Make an effort to enclose the intake valve in some sort of enclosure.
Anemones like to move, A LOT! So if you have an anemone it may be feseble that it could just get sucked into your filter valve and this will I repeat WILL Kill it for sure!
One more thing if your anemone looks dead and you dont know if it is....Pick it up out of the tank and smell it. If it smells like chaos throw it in a ziplock baggie and can it Its dead.
On that same note If you think its dead get it out of your tank as soon as possible becasue you may just find that an anemone is poisonous when it is dying.
I dont know that much about anemones but I know that they are meant for beginners but I think that anemones are one of the most Beautiful of the creatures of the ocean and should be taken care of and catered to.
Clownfish;;; On that note get one Word: purple tip Condi and Clarki Funny couple:D

jonthefb

yeah the clown/anemone relationship is a very interesting and sometimes misunderstood one. A lot of new sw enthusiasts think that a clown must have an anemone to survive. this is in no way the case, in facts its mostly opposite. an anemone (withthe exception of the atlantic ones) needs a clown to survive, as the clown basically acts as the janitor/careteaker cleaning the anemone, and often feeding it. get a clown as they are hardy, but wait on the anemone, as it takes a lot of care to provide for one.
good luck, and welcome!
jon

overanalyzer

OK general question on Anenomes - I am reading a book right now: The Reef Aquarium: A comprehensive guide to the identification and care of tropical marine invertebrates it is a college style text book (by Charles Delbeck) and while they say that Anenomes can be difficult they are not has negative as most posts on this board about keeping anenomes.
I can understand hte LFS guy saying they are easy (easy money for him) and for online sites - but I have not heard the cautions in books that I have heard here .....
SO is it that most people rush into anenomes and kill their tanks or is it that most anenomes will die?

jonthefb

i think that anemones are jsut needy pets, requiring the same amount of attention as a dog. weird comparison. They are very fragile creatures, and can many times suffer from shipping and handling resultign in a weak individual. anemones need to be fed in captivity. they can live off the translocated product of their zooxanthellae, but this is not the case inthe wild. in the wild, the majority of the anemones find food by catchign it, or with the aid of a clownfish, to brign food to it. In a home aquarium, they need lots of food, and lots of light as they will still be required to use their zooxanthellae for energy. i have kept BTA's for years now, and have even had two individuals split, resulting in 4 anemones. i feed them every other day with a variety of meaty foods, and do the best i can to ensure that they are happy. granted BTA's are one of the more hardy anemone species, but i am pleased that i can witness first hand the anemone and clownfish relationship in my tank, and that they are all doing so well! i think we as aquarists need to provide optimal conditions for their survival, and for all other tank inhabitants to be truthful, as an anemone will perish if neglected.
sorry to ramble
good luck
jon

marting83

Anemones sound like a big hassle. The only reason that I was even considering a couple anemones was for the clownfish. If the clownfish can live happily without them, I don't need the trouble myself... at this time. However, when I am comfortable with saltwater aquaria, I may consider a couple. Again, thanks everyone for your hlep!

lucentclownfish

I know what you are thinking, oh another post lets see what this ass has to say. But there and again you here Clown fish like anemones, this is true, but clowns I think are even more fragile than anemones.
A clown uses the anemone for protection and in the wild will eat from the tentacles of the anemone. Now as for the protection part the clown stimulates the tentacles of the anemne alowing for the anemone to produce its toxic slime.
This is a weak defense but if you werent particular to anemone slime you wouldnt want something that is covered in it. I am saying that if you get a clown to ensure the clowns happiness get some sort of long armed invertibrate.
Clowns like all sorts of soft corals so make a pick! Just make sure you get a big one!

sistrmary

Clownfish are only obligate sybiants. With the exception of the brief "planktonic" larval stage, clowns don't really need anemones...they really do just enjoy them. I've got a tomato that resides in two bubbletips. (I bought one because it was gorgeous and the other because it was the largest bubbletip I'd seen in captivity) I think it's a nice, safe, soft place to sleep where it doesn't have to worry about being eaten by a nocturnal predator.
Just wait on one is all I'm asking :D I'd be ten times a hypocrite if I said don't get one. Just wait until you're more familiar with the way thigns work, and read about them. It's a lot cheaper than eating the cost of a couple before you figure out what's wrong :D

lucentclownfish

1. A high sided tank
-this will allow for the anemone to move without the worry of it getting out
2. A Limestone rock.
-this will help to buffer your tank to the correct ph at a high salinity. Reef tanks run higher in salinity due to the corals intolerance for low salinity .023-.026+-
You can get a limestone rock from a gravel yard or rock quarry
Boil it when you get it home and than place it in your tank.
3. temperature controlled heater
this will make sure that the temperature never gets above 83 degrees Ferenheit. When the temp raises corals begin to bleach this will cause the coral or anemone to die.
4. Dont buy a poerhead for current! Buy a top mounted wave maker. this will heighten the the GRAVITY in the tank and will allow for much better feeding of the anemone.
PS this is like fantasy draft on NFL feever see next post

I guess I am starting to get ESPN with you Shadow. Oh, God help me.
Go ahead and blast it. I know it's late, so maybe do it tomorrow.

I have not found anemones hard to keep at all. I started with a condi when my tank finished it's cycle and still have him. I have a false perc with a sebae anemone that I love to watch in the evening. The problem people have with anemones IMHO is not feeding them enough. They do require adequate lighting but they also require some meaty food. I feed mine pieces of raw cocktail shrimp about 3 times a week and they are all alive and thriving. I feed them by hand using tongs.
We also tend to starve our corals.
Learn to feed adequate amounts and you will have success.