what do ya do with a dead snail?

saltydad

Found one of my larger turbo snails dead--should I keep him in the tank to feed the hermits, or take it out? Can I reuse the shell?

I would take him out but if you can wash him out of the shell put in back in the tank for your hermits. You just don't want him to rot in the tank and cause ammonia.

michaeltx

deffinately take it out you can put it in a bucket or something till the shell is clear of the snail and it will smell horrid but then after its all cleaned out you can readd it to the tank. the small ones I dont worry about to much the large ones can reak havoke in a tank.
Mike

mie

Depends on the size of your tank, i.e death = nitrates and amm spike. but usually hermits will eat it, an eventually take the shell, i never worry about the ones in my 75. unless they are they BIG ones

bang guy

If you have a dead Snail that isn't loaded with Bristleworms then you have a Bristleworm shortage.
Take it out if it's not being immediately eaten. A dead Snail can produce an unbelievable amount of ammonia.
If you want to keep the shell just soak it in chlorine for a couple of days.

R

reelbigjawn

I had a turbo snail die and didnt even have time to get it out before my peppermint shrimp ate it

alex4286

i had a few of these die and my nitrates SKY-ROCKETED it was insane.. the smell too omgg!! take it out asap!