What do you think?

darknes

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/air....ap/index.html
This really made me upset reading this. I could understand if there was a nativity scene, but it was just Christmas trees. Christmas is not only a Christian holiday anymore; it has evolved into a national holiday, and can be celebrated without any religious motives.
Our country needs to stop giving in to stupid demands by minorities. If someone wants to put up a menorah somewhere, I could care less; our country was built on freedom of religion. What's next? Is Christmas going to be removed from the list of federal holidays since it has Christian origins?

dr. evil

man what a jerk. political correctness and lawyers are destroying our country. like mike and mike on espn radio say this guy should get the, JUST SHUTUP! award.

darknes

I agree, and the stupid thing is that if the airport just ignored this guy, there would be lawyers crawling all over the case.

dragonzim

What I dont understand is why the airport wouldnt just put up the Menorah's that the rabbi was asking for. Its only fair if they are going to put up decorations for one holiday that they should be prepared to do it for all of them

darknes

Because they're very busy with the holiday traffic, and by putting up a menorah, they'd have to put up objects to satisfy all religious holidays.
The thing that makes me mad is that Christmas trees do not necessarily signify anything Christian. I know for a fact that many Jews, Muslims, and atheists celebrate the holiday of Christmas, giving gifts and such.

phixer

Just goes to show how cowardly the airport is in the manner they crumbled under pressure and complied. Give em an inch and they will take a yard next time. If the majority wanted Menorah's Im sure thats what would go up. Instead this jerk whines and the cowards bow down to him. I would have offered him a nice cup of shut the @#*! up and a fruitcake.

garnet13aj

I agree that it was ridiculous for them to take down the tree, I celebrate Chritmas and I'm not a Christian, they should have just kept it up because it is a staple during "winter break" for most americans to have a christmas tree or to enjoy seeing other people have a christmas tree.
I do think though that you should watch what you say though.
Darknes
Our country needs to stop giving in to stupid demands by minorities
If people in America couldn't express their opinion we might still have slavery, women wouldn't be able to vote, and gay people wouldn't be fighting for their rights as we speak.

darknes

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
If people in America couldn't express their opinion we might still have slavery, women wouldn't be able to vote, and gay people wouldn't be fighting for their rights as we speak.
Those aren't "stupid demands", they are rights. I'm talking about things like the rabbi in this story, or the aetheists that wanted "under God" taken out of the pledge of allegiance, or retailers being pressured to remove "Merry Christmas" from their stores. People need to lighten up in this country a little bit, and accept a little culture other than their own. If they don't like it, just ignore it.

phixer

"If people in America couldn't express their opinion we might still have slavery, women wouldn't be able to vote, and gay people wouldn't be fighting for their rights as we speak."
:thinking: ... :hilarious

phixer

"If people in America couldn't express their opinion we might still have slavery, women wouldn't be able to vote, and gay people wouldn't be fighting for their rights as we speak."
:thinking: ... :hilarious
Lasting changes are only made when one side crushes the resistance of the other i.e the civil war.

garnet13aj

Darknes
Those aren't "stupid demands", they are rights. I'm talking about things like the rabbi in this story, or the aetheists that wanted "under God" taken out of the pledge of allegiance...
I'm an atheist and I felt uncomfortable everytime I had to say "Under God" when I was younger and I don't want my children to say it when I have them. You can still think it when you want to, I don't even care if you say it, but I and/or my future children shouldn't be expected to say it just because you want to say it and that's where the issue comes in.
Lasting changes are only made when one side crushes the resistance of the other i.e the civil war.
What war was there for women's suffrage? Are you expecting another war for gay rights?
FYI I still think the Christmas tree issue is stupid they should have just kept it up in the first place.

phixer

Do you think that if the south would have won the civil war, slavery would have been abolished or sufferage would have passed? The south was much more restrictive of womens rights then the north was.
So another law passes based on expression of public opinion. Dosent mean a thing unless it is physically enforceable.
In reality the only opinion that matters is the one of the side holding the bigger stick, the opinions that become laws only become reality if the consequeces of not following them outweigh the advantages. Sounds kind of funny but the core fundamental element all boils down to one sides ability to physically kick the others *ss.
http://www.bitoffun.com/Stupid_Laws.htm

garnet13aj

I admit that there are stupid laws that aren't enforced (I personally have seen a moose walk on the side of the road in downtown Alaska), but women's suffrage is enforced and I don't beleive it's because of the civil war. There was no war (a lot of pissing and wailing) for the right for women to choose whether or not to have an abortion and the right of people to decide for themselves whether or not to use protection during ---. Basically what I'm trying to say is that just because some laws aren't enforced doesn't mean important laws can't be made without a war.
I do believe that eventually slavery would have been abolished and women would have gotten the right to vote in time, even if the north had lost the civil war.

phixer

Look at it this way.
Any law important or not can be made without physical enforcement. The law may sound important but how important is it if it cant be enforced? Same for goals and wishes, without physical measures taken they remain hollow and powerless. What makes laws effective and gives them power is the underlying fact that real ones can physically force something to happen. I know this sounds arcane but its true.
Moral values may keep some in line but for many its the prospect of physical enforcement i.e incarceration that keeps them from breaking the law.
Do you believe the things you mentioned would have happened if we had lost the war of independance or what if England had lost one of its many wars. Go back ever farther then, if you go back far enough you will find a battle that was won which decisevely determined what is. Not because of a law but because of a battle.
The losing sides laws no longer matter. History is almost always written from the victors perspective.

reefreak29

i think im going to start sueing people for not having christmas trees up, im going to sue every time 2 guys kiss in front of me because its against MY beliefs, and if someone says the pledge without saying under god... guess what im going to sue them to

coachklm

i believe that unless he's going to whine and sue every person that has a christmas tree up that rabbi should really be more "understanding " of practices and heritage.
as for "under god" if you dont want to say it .....dont ..... but dont try to deny the oppertunity for others.. JMO

I

indydirk

garnet13aj said:
I'm an atheist and I felt uncomfortable everytime I had to say "Under God" when I was younger and I don't want my children to say it when I have them. You can still think it when you want to, I don't even care if you say it, but I and/or my future children shouldn't be expected to say it just because you want to say it and that's where the issue comes in.
I'm sorry but I have to give my 2 cents worth ... If you don't like saying or want others saying "In God We Trust" please don't use the U.S. money, which all has that saying on it. Now, I will back out and let you all argue about if God should be allowed in our nation or not.

I

indydirk

garnet13aj said:

I

indydirk

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
Just have to add more fuel to the fire. If you are against using or allowing others to use the phrase "In God We Trust" then please do not us the money of the United States, all denominations of the U.S. currency has this on it. I'm sick of others telling me that I can not worship my God in a way that I want, but they seem to be wanting me to allow them to force their beliefs on me and my children. Sorry for venting, but this is a sore subject for me.
Now I will back out of this post and allow the rest of you to speak your minds, pro or con.
:thinking: