What do you use to clean the inside of your glass?

tjkohler

What do you use to clean the inside of your glass? I've been running with the snails in my sig since I started. The cover most of the glass, but even then they leave 'lip' prints of algea all over the place. I just picked up 3 more Turbos and 3 Astrea snails to see if I can get the glass cleaned better. I've heard that you want 1 good algea eating snail per gallon. Now I've got 10 for my 10 gallon. If they don't keep the glass clean, what can I do to 'clean' it. Thanks.
Tank Info:
Am, Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 2-3
pH = 8.1 (fighting to keep this at 8.3)
Recently cut back on feedings to fight off a small out break of what I think is red slime.
Xenia doing GREAT!

javajoe

i've seen people use lots of things, from those expensive scrappers, to the magnetic scrubbers--- what i have found that works the dest for me is those green scrubbies that you use for cleaning dishes! just make sure you use the kind that don't have soap in them! its a pain to stick your hands in the tank, but it works great.

iechy

The best scraper I ever had was a magnetic one with razor blades on the inside. I know it is recommended that you not put any metal in your saltwter tank but for the few seconds it is in there I guess it doesn't cause any problems.I only use it to keep the front glass crystal clear and let the snails have the sides and back. Works like a charm.

shadow678

I've experimented with quite a few different types of algae scrapers. Razor blade scrapers, scrubber pads by several different manufacturers, but I think the best I have found by far is the MagFloat. It's a magnetic scrubber that works very well, and if the magnetic seal is broken, the in-tank half will float, making it much easier to catch again or remove, without getting soaked. The other fantastic thing about it is that you can turn 90 degree angles with it without having to physically move the in-tank half by hand, it will float for a second while you turn the corner and then catch again. They also have different pads you can get, depending on whether your tank is glass(more abrasive) or acrylic(less abrasive, to prevent scratching).

wamp

Magfloat works great if done daily. If you let it build up, you will need something with a blade. For that, the Kent Pro scrapper works very well. It has a stainless stell blade.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I use the mag float too and the Pro Scraper. What is the one that has "magnetic razors"??
I had a magnetic scrapper once that leached out something that stained my glass. Could not get it off either.

carrie1429

Originally posted by Iechy
The best scraper I ever had was a magnetic one with razor blades on the inside. I know it is recommended that you not put any metal in your saltwter tank but for the few seconds it is in there I guess it doesn't cause any problems.

Why is it suggested to not put metal in your tank? I'm just curious as to what it does because I use a "metal" razor blade to remove algea. Anyone have info on this?

adrian

I use magnets for routine cleanings, and the Kent scraper for detailing every now and then. The mag float is awesome, hardly have to get my hands wet anymore :D

nm reef

For a long time I used a Visa card to scrape the front glass....heck ... the card built it so the card can clean it.
The credit card works great....but I now use the MagFloat myself and rarely ever need to manually scrape. The sides and back I just let go....the front of the display is the only area I try to clean on a regular basis.Normally every few days I run the MagFloat over the front glass and it keeps things clean enough.The wife bought the mag for me......she made a good purchase.Sure makes things easier since I don't need to manually scrape anymore.:cool:

jonthefb

mag-float, razor for tuff stuff, and algae pad when i want to do some detailing! mag flaot is the coolet thing since sliced bread!
good luck
jon