What do you use

leopard_babe

I am starting a reef and was wondering what kind of lights you guys use. It is only letting me use to options. I am getting new lights, and want mh, but and curious to see what you guys use.
Thanks,
Leopard

h2oengr

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably go with the MHs and a chiller. I think they go hand in hand. If you have MHs, I think you've got to get a chiller. The MHs give you that shimmer of light that looks absolutely killer.
I've got PCs and my LFS says they can provide enough light for just about anything - including clams. I doubt that. However, I didn't need a chiller, and I probably don't have the evaporation rate that a tank with MHs has.
Good luck!

squidd

MH and a fan should do you well...
Your in Michigan so we really don't have to deal with the "killer" heat issues they do down south...

skirrby

hmm, i really dont think you NEED a chiller if you have halides.. i know a few people right here in orlando that have halides running and no chillers. heck there is 8 175watt halides over the stoney coral tanks at my lfs and theres no chiller on that, and all the lights are very close to the water.
i use pcs right know, and by the next few days willl have my halides running. my tank stays at 77-78 with the pcs, and i think with proper ventalation through the canopy, i wouldnt go up more than 80-82

leopard_babe

So I should be able to run mh without running the temperature up in my tank? That would be good. If I could get away with running the lights and no chiller. The light I am looking at has two 4 inch fans, and has legs, so it will not sit directly on top of the tank. I will post a link of the fixture I want, and maybe you can give me your opinion on what you think about the light. Any opinions are appreciated.
Website deleted by moderator.
Part Number: LT-WBPSLM72
Description: 24 inch single 250 watt 14K double ended metal halide fixture with dual 24 watt T5 actinics. Aluminum housing with hanging hardware, hammer tone reflector and stilts. Built-in cooling fan and splash lens. Includes all necessary bulbs, ready to run.
Shipping Weight: 40 Lbs.
ITEM IS BACKORDERED
Regular Price: $474.99
Offer Price: $ 474.99 each
Thanks,
Leopard

michael7979

I now run 440 watts VHO but I too am looking into setting up MH's. My VHO's don't give off enough heat to raise the tank temp. , but I keep a small clip-on fan blowing to make sure. Either way you go I think you will be happy. If $ is no issue go MH's and then you won't upgrade later.

leopard_babe

Thanks for the opinions guys. I appreciate the help. If I am going to spend the money, I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing!!!
Leopard

msd2

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
Anyone else got an opinion before I make my final decision?

Running 175watt hm and 2 actinics enclosed canopy w/fan. It does warm my tank up a few degrees but not enough to justify a chiller.
btw when u get ur canopy its super easy to add moonlights and cheap too! all u have to do is drill several small holes (for the led bulbs) some basic wiring and then u have some cool moonlights. I think my whole retro for moon cost about 35 bucks, bulbs, sockets, transformer and wire.

dima96

which tank? one has vho only(softies/lps), one mh (frag tank) and the last one has vho/mh combo (sps). they all have there pro and cons.

leopard_babe

I am still researching sps, lsp and all that good stuff. I don't really know the difference between them, so I don't really know what I want to keep. I am still working on that.
Thanks guys,
Leopard

donmgicwon

Retro 2 VHO (1 act. and 1 10000k) and 2 175 watt MH in a DIY hood, Halides are 6-7" off the water surface with 1 - 4" fan. NO overheat problems.

S

spsaddict

for softies and lps go with vho, if you want to keep sps go with mh

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
I am still researching sps, lsp and all that good stuff. I don't really know the difference between them, so I don't really know what I want to keep. I am still working on that.
Thanks guys,
Leopard

sps are your stoney corals such as montipora's acroporas ect ect
lps are your hammer corals, frogspawns, torches, scoly, blastos, plate corals... basically the lps polyps are much longer and more noticable. and your softies are your leathers, mushrooms, ricordias,yumas... either way you go you can have a beautiful tank... hth

leopard_babe

I finally figured that out. With the help of many search engines. So mushrooms, and polyps would be good under what light?? i like those, and some of the LPS. I am not really fond of the sps, and softies. I am trying to do mh, but I don't think that I want to spend $550 on lights right now. I am still debating.
Thanks for the replies,
Leopard

lopeyc

...a tank with MH and a tank with powercompact/actinic/moonlights combo.
MH pros: Nice glimmer. More powerful for clams, etc.
MH cons: Light is too yellow.
They dont do much for the creatures but I love the moonlights...
I don't see any diff on evap, maybe because the MH (pendant) is higher from the surface.

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by lopeyc
...a tank with MH and a tank with powercompact/actinic/moonlights combo.
MH pros: Nice glimmer. More powerful for clams, etc.
MH cons: Light is too yellow.
They dont do much for the creatures but I love the moonlights...
I don't see any diff on evap, maybe because the MH (pendant) is higher from the surface.

switch to a higher kelvin bulb... like a 13k or or