What fish to get clean?

zanoshanox

I have a 20 g long reef tank... I am having problems with algea since i added the new PC lights...(6.5 wpg). I have all kinds of alge, but the two worst that I have are bubble algea, everywhere, and brown algea...My sand bed is covered with a brown layer of algea and bubbles. I hate it. WHat woudl be the best fish/invert I could get to clean this up quickly? (it was mostly cuases from high nitrates while the tank was on a downfall)
Thanks,
Shane

newgirl1

the brown algae on your sand may be a result of high phosphates. If what you have is the same thing I had, that was my problem, phospates. I used phos-lock to get rid of it. worked in about a week. Now its more of a maintenance problem than anything.

lion_crazz

RowaPhos also works excellently towards removing phosphates. It is similiar to carbon in appearence and runs about $20 a bag. What kind of water are you using? RO or tap?

lion_crazz

Well that is why you have algae issues. I would get some RowaPhos, run that in your filter, and get 3 or 4 mexican turbo snails.

anthropo

i'd get hermit crabs to take care of the sand. and to take care of the other algae get emerald crabs. this will take care of it, and keep it out of the tank. these are reef safe, also so are the turbo's

S

surfinusa

maybe some sort of sand sifting goby might work because if they are constantly sifting the sand the algea wont be able to grow because the sand is not staying still :happyfish

fanker

when i had an alge bloom i had the brown stuff and i pulled it off in layers and did water changes allthe time and move the sand constantly

zanoshanox

Yeah I tried the same thing though, but it can sort of be dangerous with my tank because its so small and it stirs up nitrates...but idk. Sometimes it just get too bad, and I have no other choice, lol.

fanker

i got it at mermaid aquarium in fremont, i dont know who makes it but trop-aquarium might have some. it cost like $30

paul p

I, too, have some bubble algae. Did a search on the website and found that Foxface Lo rabbit fish will remove the stuff without releasing the spores. Plus they are a very nice community fish and attractive. I purchased one over the weekend and it is working away. I'm told that the Emerald Crabs will eat the bubble algae, but will probably break the bubble and release the spores.

rusting

Try Home Depot or wallmart for water, if you continue Using tap water you will have trouble. Tap water is not cost effective.