What happened to my clown :(

vsecret

So I have had a mated pair of clowns (Mocha, they were a cross breed from UMAINE) anywho, they were about 3" big and i have had them for almost 3 years. They have been no problem what so ever. So I came home today to acclimate a new fish and as it was dripping I looked down on the floor by the corner of the tank and my clown some how got out of my tank and wound up on the floor.
Why did this happen? How did this happen, i checked and checked for a possible way for it to get out, and I could not find one!
It was the female that jumped, and now it has been about (Im guessing) 8 hours or so and my male is just up in the corner (where they used to sleep) and not coming down. He did not eat when i fed him. Should I go out and get a new one for him to be with? Also, they were fairly large, how do I get one that would be a good match size wise?
Any help would do, they have been through so much in my learning experience and I have cherished them for almost 3 years.
on last question, since they are part dark brown and part orange...soon he will b all brown (not black), do I have to track down another mocha or can I get a true orange or black?

bang guy

Sorry for your loss

If you wish to attempt another pairing my suggestion is to get another clown of the same species (color morph is your preference) and as SMALL as you can find. Trying to pair your current Clownfish with a fish of the same size has a low success rate. You want your current fish to become female and bond with the new smaller fish.

vsecret

Thanks ) Im a little confused by the statement "get another clown of the same species (color morph is your preference)" Do you mean that I should try to find another "mocha"? What If I can not? the LFS that I used to go to in the only place that sell's them - they get them right from the biology dept at UMAINE. Can I try to do it with a black clown if I can not find anoher mocha?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsecret http:///forum/thread/384962/what-happened-to-my-clown#post_3374153
Thanks ) Im a little confused by the statement "get another clown of the same species (color morph is your preference)" Do you mean that I should try to find another "mocha"? What If I can not? the LFS that I used to go to in the only place that sell's them - they get them right from the biology dept at UMAINE. Can I try to do it with a black clown if I can not find anoher mocha?
Do you know what species of clown it is? Is it a Percula or Ocellaris?

vsecret

Ocellaris mixed with another type to make it, as it matures, chocolate brown - they were also both, miss-bars :( oh how i miss her...

vsecret

This was her last year, she was even more brown when she died (it looms black, but trust me it's not)

teresaq

I have one just like it. My understanding she is a mix of a black Ocellaris and an orange Ocellaris . she is also a miss bar. Mine was bred by a private breeder in the city i live in. When I got her she was about a half an inch long.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsecret http:///forum/thread/384962/what-happened-to-my-clown#post_3374153
"Mocha" is a color morph, not a species. Species is something like A. percula or A. bicinctus. The color doesn't matter much in pairing Clownfish.