What happened to my starfish? :(

jim2766

I have 2 of these starfish, this one maroon, and an orange one. This one is dead, and he has been very healthy and grazing my aquarium for over 2 years. Today my son noticed him on the top of a rock looking like this. It looks like little worms eating him but they whatever they are do not move. maybe its him disintegrating? Anyways, 2 weeks ago I introduced a frogspawn coral into the tank and this starfish has done nothing but hang around it since then, moving around, grazing its base and now he is dead. Any ideas? Suggestions? Comments? Anything anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

t316

I have no idea as to the cause of death, but I am interested in more info. about those parasites that are feasting on the corpse. I doubt that they caused the death, rather they are there for an opportunistic meal, but where did they come from? What are they? More pics of these aliens please....

jim2766

They do appear to be paracidic, but they are not moving at all. Strange. Ill try to get more pictures tomorrow once the lights come back on. I have the starfish in a dip container.

t316

I would go ahead and remove all of them things NOW. I'm sure they are just part of the "clean up crew" that came to the party, but I would get them out of there while you have the chance.

jim2766

The starfish is contained in a plastic dip and scoop container. Is it possible its not dead, and is cureable? I have no idea.

t316

This "shock" is usually asscociated with newbies and acclimation, but could be due to something new that occured to the tank. I doubt this though, based on what you have posted.

t316

Originally Posted by Jim2766
http:///forum/post/3228149
The starfish is contained in a plastic dip and scoop container. Is it possible its not dead, and is cureable? I have no idea.
Is it dead or not? If not sure, I would get those parasites off of it IMMEDIATELY and then see what happens.

jim2766

Ok, just removed all I could off the starfish. Did not appear like parasites, looked more like the internals of the starfish. One leg is definately destroyed. He isnt moving at all, nor was anything I removed. All I can do is cross my fingers, but it looks very bleek.

jim2766

Update, the starfish is dead. He never recovered. Its very strange, the other one is doing just fine. Thanks for all you comments on this.

t316

Sorry Jim.
I have never had luck with them. The few I have ever tried would do fine for a short period of time, then just start desinegrating (starving to death I assumed).

jim2766

I never had luck with the sand siftig starfish. These 2 I have had for well over a year and both were doing well till this one disintegrated. The other orange one is still very well and grazing around.

sargeboy

this happened to my chocolate chip satrfish too i was stunned looked like he was disinetgrating but without the worms. mine died

hunt

Originally Posted by Jim2766
http:///forum/post/3228485
I never had luck with the sand siftig starfish. These 2 I have had for well over a year and both were doing well till this one disintegrated. The other orange one is still very well and grazing around.
How big is the tank you had the sand sifting star