What happened???

737mech

I trimmed this last night with new scissors (titanium) and this morning my clown looks like he's breathing fast. He also seems not as active. Could there have been something introduced into the water when I did the cutting in my display?
I thinking of doing a water change. I tested for amo=0. no2=0, no3=0, ph=8.2
I'm running carbon to see if that helps.
Any other ideas????

beaslbob

I can't see any reason other than you might have removed plant life and got the carbon dioxide up. But then you should have noticed a ph drop.
How's everything else in the tank and is the clown starting to act more normal?

737mech

How's everything else in the tank and is the clown starting to act more normal?
I'm doing a water change right now. I've been looking everything over, so I maybe over reacting, but my zenia doesnt look as extended as it usually does. Some of my red shroons aren't fully open either. The clown ate fine, but is still breathing fast.

nm reef

I see no reason for a trim of any type of macro algae to cause such symptoms. I'm curious about your water chemistry...what are current test results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Also post current PH and temp levels. Does your fish show any signs of a parasite? Any other noticable symptoms?
There are numerous reefkeepers that do much more than "trim" macro algaes with no adverse effects...myself included. I'd look at some other source for the problem.:thinking:

T

thomas712

Originally posted by 737mech
Could there have been something introduced into the water when I did the cutting in my display?

Is there anything that could have gotten on the scissors? Sprays, pesticides something anything, someone use them for something that could have carried over to the tank? Oil in the rivit?
I have never heard of maco's doing this in any display
Thomas

737mech

Is there anything that could have gotten on the scissors? Sprays, pesticides something anything, someone use them for something that could have carried over to the tank? Oil in the rivit?
The scissors were brand new from a sealed package. You mention oil in the rivet. I wiped the scissors down with RO on a towel, but did not soak them.
Could there be enough oil left to foul up the tank?

bang guy

That's what I was thinking. Oil on the scissors could have formed a film on the water surface. This could easily block gas exchange.

737mech

How much oil would do that in a 3 ft long tank? I didn't see a bad film on the surface.
I run a CPR Bakpak with the surface skimmer attachment. It normally does a good job of skimming the surface.
Having said that, I'm thinking it could have been the scissors too.
Will the skimmer get the oil out of there? The lights are out for the night, so I won't know to much til tomorrow.
Thanks for you pros helping me out again.....

bang guy

I've always found surface skimmers to remove oil really fast. I now think I'm wrong about the oil. Could still be the scissors though. Do you know what the Titanium is alloyed with? Could it be Tin?

T

thomas712

Copper rivet?
Here is a though, stick those scissors in some RO water and submerge them see if anything leaches out of them.
Thomas

737mech

Bang Guy
Do you know what the Titanium is alloyed with? Could it be Tin?
I looked at the blades and they say "stainless steel" and of course "made in China". Today the clown was more active and is breathing normally. How long should I keeping running carbon?
Thomas712
Here is a though, stick those scissors in some RO water and submerge them see if anything leaches out of them.
Good idea. I should have thought about that before hand anyway. Leason learned.

bang guy

Originally posted by 737mech
Good idea. I should have thought about that before hand anyway. Leason learned.

I never would have thought to test Scissors.
Run Carbon 24 - 48 hours. After that it's pretty much inert.

737mech

So I've got these scissors swimming in RO. I haven't noticed much. It's been about 15 min. This is like a weird science experiment. I'm not sure what might happen next.....

bang guy

Don't expect them to crawl out.
Perhaps the Clownfish problems were coincidence or something on your hands caused some stress.

T

thomas712

Is there anything stamped on them like: "previously owned by Norman Bates" :)