what is the best powerhead for me

corw

i need to buy a couple new powerheads and was looking for some input on what the best option would be for a 75g. been fighting cyno for a few weeks now and hope a couple good powerheads will help.

rbaldino

Brand isn't really as important as output. For a tank your size, you may want something like a couple of Maxi-Jet 1200s or bigger. As for fighting cyano... Now that it's there, your best bet is probably Chemiclean.

double_g2k

Tunze nano's and hydor koralia's may also be options for you, however both cost more than a maxi-jet (tunze in price, koralia in size)
I personally am saving up for some tunze's as the koralia model 4's are too big IMO.
If you are concerned with hydro usage a maxi-jet 900 is a better choice than a 1200 . a 900 uses 9.9v and a 1200 uses 20v and the GPH is within 65 gallons of each other.
Hope this helps a bit
GG

freaky's reef

I too like the Maxijet 1200 good flow and I figure everything with a 15-20% loss. I have 3MJ1200's in my 90 seem to get great flow. I also use a rotating head on my pumps to get better water movement.

J

jrthomas40

i like the koralia...for you i would do 2 of the model 3's they are not that big but put out 850gph....i put 1 model 4 in my 90 and i am happy so now i have 3 left... i bought 2 of the model 3's and 2 of the model 4's

madboy

I heard something about the koralia being recalled, is this true. I'm thinking about getting one simply because I like the magnet designed. My maxi-jet keeps falling off the glass and it's really noisy. How are these for noise? I only have a 37gallon so even the level 1 (400gph) is pretty powerful for my tank and I prefer to have 2 to prevent dead spots. 800 gph seems pretty high for a 37g tho doesn't it?
Any ideas on how to quiet a maxi-jet 900 and keep it from coming coming off the glass and sending my sand all over the place?

azaintcold

800 gph seems pretty high for a 37g tho doesn't it?
Its about 21 x turnover, For reef you want more than 20x, and it doesn't hurt fish only. Sounds perfect!

azaintcold

800 gph seems pretty high for a 37g tho doesn't it?
Its about 21 x turnover, For reef you want more than 20x, and it doesn't hurt fish only. Sounds perfect!

corw

i found the dimensions of the model 3 koralia's and ordered two for 35 a piece, anyone else tried these?

madboy

Originally Posted by corw
i found the dimensions of the model 3 koralia's and ordered two for 35 a piece, anyone else tried these?
Where did you find them available?

poppydaisy

are they safe for anenome's? I have a haitian pink tip that likes to move around a lot who recently was almost sucked up in the filter intake. I also have a BTA and was wondering if this was safe? Any modifications needed to protect the intake? It looks like a miniature fan but for water not air.