what is the most interesting thing to have appeared in your tank out of the live rock

serpentar

I have found a Haptosquilla hamifera stomatopod (mantis shrimp) in my live rock. The one i have is very rare & reef safe!!!! i hit the jackpot of live rock stowaways..

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by wbradenpt
just noticed this a couple of days ago. anyone have an i.d. on this? seems like it has seven legs. this is on my back glass, so can't see it from the other side.
asterina star.
very common hitchhiker.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Tizzo
My coolest hitch-hiker.
I wuld have never bought one of these.

thats an awesome pic! is it a flame scallop?

zeke92

only hitchhiker ive had. due to bad rock, is aptasia anemone things. there interesting, i've kept a big one in a 2.5 gallon for about a couple weeks now as a PET cause he is cool to whatch

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by alix2.0
thats an awesome pic? is it a flame scallop?
It is. He was in my tank for over a year before I found him. At the time I didnt add any lr for that long. Anyway I have since given him away, but he never came out into the light!

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Kynekke
This "thing", when it opens wide it has a teeth and tongue inside, it's like one huge flat mouth... it's probably 1/8 inch wide, 1/2" tall and 1" long.

I have a few of those too, my guess its some sort of clam.

coral keeper

I have bristle worms, and more diff kinds of worms, feather dusters, flat worms(got rid of them), asterina stars, 2 very nice color full clams they are green with other diff colors and they are small, some diff snails, diff kinds of pods, and some other things that arent that exiting. Never had any brittle starfish, i think i don't have any because i don't see them. The most exiting of them all is the 2 color full clams. I had them for about 8 months because i didn't add any live rock for that long.

just noticed this a couple of days ago. anyone have an i.d. on this? seems like it has seven legs. this is on my back glass, so can't see it from the other side.
i think its a mini star.
-jake

funkyman

had to put in refugium as it grew up, didn't want to find it drilling into something valuable.
I had this exact same urchin show up. I still have him.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by alix2.0
thats an awesome pic? is it a flame scallop?
It is. He was in my tank for over a year before I found him. At the time I didnt add any lr for that long. Anyway I have since given him away, but he never came out into the light!

W

wbradenpt

Originally Posted by funkyman
I had this exact same urchin show up. I still have him.

i wonder if it crawled out of the frogspawn that i got from your tank?

marka1620

Mini brittle stars are about the only thing I've seen as hitchhikers. Don't really see them anymore. Crabs and shrimp got them I would assume.

joshntosh2004

We got a brittle star fish (pretty scary!!!! i still don't like sticking my hand in there.) and a red fan worm (i just found it two days ago and found out what it was today)

maxsmart

The Good:
I got the little brittle stars.
I saw what I believe was a tiny, .25" asterina star right before I moved the tank.. haven't seen one since.
I had the whole pod circus - amphipods are everywhere, still have isopods too, had copepods but haven't seen one in a while.
Tons of macroalgaes - halimeda (or whatever that reef-building one is called), sea grapes (they feel squishy!), hair algae (yuck), and some other type that looks like a vine, it grows and grows and grows but never gets thicker than a toothpick.
Peanut worms - when I look at the tank at night I can see them stretching all around the tank to feed!
Feather dusters and other various tube worms.
Spirobids (tiny, spiral-shaped feather-duster-like worms)
Slug-Snails - not sure about the name, but they are like snails with just a baseball-cap-like shell. The first time I saw one I thought a snail had had his shell ripped off by a crab!
The BAD and UGLY:
My hospital tank is full of bristle worms - I'm glad I quarantined the new piece of live rock before putting it in the main tank, but now the hospital is infested!
FLATWORMS (I plan to buy a nudibranch or use flatworm exit when we move, meanwhile they are making life miserable for the inhabitants and making the tank look ugly).

grumpygils

I just recently had 2 acan polyps spring out of rock that was totally colorless and dead 6 months ago.
Mc

j.p

besides little stars and stuff i got a carribean pistol shrimp and i want to get a goby to pair with it if it will work lol