What is this and how do I get rid of it ?

ilovemytank

This is in my refugium. It appeared and spread over the chaeto. I rinsed and cleaned the chaeto by removing it and then pumped almost all the water out of the refugium ( during a water change and the water was replinished from the DT and I added the new water to my sump. The tank was spotless clean on Saturday and these pictures are from tonight ( Monday ) It doesn't appear to be red slime ( cyno ) because its not growing on the sand at all, only the alea. Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it ?

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2974678
cyano (it comes in other colors besides red)
I thought cyno too at first. I've seen cyno many times and all the times I saw it, it formed a "carpet like" slime over rock and sand but never "strings flowing up into the water column like this. Also there is none on the sand ? The strands flowing into the air are creating small air bubbl;es on them like algea does. Anyone else think cyno ?

t316

Maybe not then. I was looking at the first set of pics and just thought that was some chaeto back there that was covered in the stuff. So you are saying that IS the stuff, nothing underneath it? If that's the case, I agree, the cyano that I have had did not just grow up like that on it's own either. Not sure bro...

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2974694
Hey...where have you been???
Promotion at work !
I've been working my self dead learning my new reponsibilities.
I'm caught up now and back
I have several new additions to picture in my DT too.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/2974710
Promotion at work !
I've been working my self dead learning my new reponsibilities.
I'm caught up now and back
I have several new additions to picture in my DT too.
Congrats...Glad to see you back

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2974704
Maybe not then. I was looking at the first set of pics and just thought that was some chaeto back there that was covered in the stuff. So you are saying that IS the stuff, nothing underneath it? If that's the case, I agree, the cyano that I have had did not just grow up like that on it's own either. Not sure bro...
You were right the first time. It is growing on the chaeto, grape caulpera and another piece of caulpera ( I can't quote the kind off hand but I know what it is )

t316

http:///forum/post/2974732
You were right the first time. It is growing on the chaeto, grape caulpera and another piece of caulpera ( I can't quote the kind off hand but I know what it is )
Kill the lights down there for a day or two, cut feedings in half for the next 2-3 wks, and increase water changes to 2-3 times a week, and suck this stuff out on each water change. It will go away. This crap has to be our worst enemy in this hobby.

ilovemytank

What sucks is my normal behaviors ( feedings and maintenance ) are great. I know exactly when this happened. I had alot of red and green algea that grew inside the inner compartment of my reef ready. I knew it held alot of detrius and and nutrients. But I decided one day that I should scrape it all and whats directly below it ? My refugium ! I don't even feed my refugium ! Well, I'll go into massive maintence mode and will never clean the algea out of there again. I had members warn me not to do it too. Luckily I keep 55 gallons of new saltwater ready at all times !

florida joe

I don’t think its Cyano. One type of caulerpa can die and give way to another. What are your water parameters in your refug? Can you isolate your refug from your sump and still run your return pump

ilovemytank

I have now determined that this is definately not Cyno ( red slime ). I have cleaned it up again and it is slowely coming back. There is a little in my tank too. It first looks like a single strand of hair floating up into the water colum with an air bubble on the end. Its very light and if you stir it then its easy to vacuum out. It never covers the sand or rocks like red slime. Just strands floating up attached to the rock or algea. Can anyone ID this ?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/2979249
I have now determined that this is definately not Cyno ( red slime ). I have cleaned it up again and it is slowely coming back. There is a little in my tank too. It first looks like a single strand of hair floating up into the water colum with an air bubble on the end. Its very light and if you stir it then its easy to vacuum out. It never covers the sand or rocks like red slime. Just strands floating up attached to the rock or algea. Can anyone ID this ?
Hey you're back again....

I had cyano, and some of it did just what you are saying...there was the flat stuff, and the stringy stuff...I just kept manually taking it out, and did water changes...and that seemed to have worked

pbienkiewi

Here's a series of actions besides raising pH that may help aquarists to deal with problem dinoflagellates.
1. Reduce available nutrients in the water. These include nitrate and especially phosphate. In a severe case, the concerns with driving phosphate too low may be minor compared to the dinoflagellates (and their toxins). In addition to the usual ways of reducing nutrients (skimming, growing macroalgae, deep sand beds, etc.), aquarists should consider very aggressive use of granular ferric oxide (GFO). Putting a larger than normally recommended amount into a canister filter or reactor, and changing it every few days, may help. Don't bother to measure the phosphate level, because the goal is to have it well below normally detectable levels (say, 0.02 ppm).
2. Reduce the photoperiod to four hours per day. This may help to keep the dinoflagellates under control, but by itself will not usually eradicate them.
3. Use more than normal amounts of activated carbon, and possibly ozone, to deal with toxins that the dinoflagellates may be releasing. This may allow snails and other organisms to survive while the dinoflagellates are still at nuisance levels.
4. Manually siphon out as much of the mass of dinoflagellates as possible. Daily removal would be preferable to keep populations at a reduced level.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
http:///forum/post/2981336
I have a diatom filter from my freshwater tank days. I am wondering if it will help with the Dyno.
Thanks ! This stuff is crazy ! Its mostly contained to my refugium but is minor in the tank as well. I have it reduced to the amount that I'm not able to get enough for a picture but I've never seen anything like this. It will not allow any algea to grow, nor diatoms on the glass of my tank and is definately slowly killing the chaeto. I took the chaeto out because I can't even wash it off the chaeto. I still have two types of caulpera in the refugium though. I'm using the turkey bastor for removal and changing water every other day. I put a phospad in my sump filter area and only use RODI water.
I would love to hear from anyone who has ever fought this.

renogaw

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
http:///forum/post/2980419
Here's a series of actions besides raising pH that may help aquarists to deal with problem dinoflagellates.
1. Reduce available nutrients in the water. These include nitrate and especially phosphate. In a severe case, the concerns with driving phosphate too low may be minor compared to the dinoflagellates (and their toxins). In addition to the usual ways of reducing nutrients (skimming, growing macroalgae, deep sand beds, etc.), aquarists should consider very aggressive use of granular ferric oxide (GFO). Putting a larger than normally recommended amount into a canister filter or reactor, and changing it every few days, may help. Don't bother to measure the phosphate level, because the goal is to have it well below normally detectable levels (say, 0.02 ppm).
2. Reduce the photoperiod to four hours per day. This may help to keep the dinoflagellates under control, but by itself will not usually eradicate them.
3. Use more than normal amounts of activated carbon, and possibly ozone, to deal with toxins that the dinoflagellates may be releasing. This may allow snails and other organisms to survive while the dinoflagellates are still at nuisance levels.
4. Manually siphon out as much of the mass of dinoflagellates as possible. Daily removal would be preferable to keep populations at a reduced level.

raise your ph and scrub your rocks (well, rince your macro in this instance). dino will be gone.