What is this? Anemone or Feather Duster?

smeac72

Noticed what looks like an anemone but couldn't find any information in any of the threads. Didn't notice it until tonight on a live rock we brought 1 week ago, it withdraws into what likes like a tiny tube or hole in the rock, kind of like a feather duster. It has a greyish look and when out the tentacles looks hairy and is about 1/4 in - 1/2 in in length. Tentacles move independently inward as if feeding and then curls out. Does anyone know what this is and if its reef safe? Picture is not very clear but it disappeared again right after this was taken.

btldreef

I honestly can not tell from the picture, but the description sounds like a barnacle.
FYI: please only post the same question once, not in multiple sections of the forum. It might take a while to get an answer, but we will get to it.

1guydude

+1 sounds like a barnacle to me as well..
Is it like a lil hand grasping something real quick in and out...

smeac72

No. Tentacles moves slowly moving in to I guess the mouth one at a time and it withdrew when I took the picture like a feather duster would.

smeac72

Will try to get another pic. Keep checking but it still has not yet reappeared after over 2 hours.

smeac72

After taking the picture above this thing disappeared for over a month, finally saw it again today and was able to take this video. Could anyone id? It seemed to have doubled in size and disappeared again soon after this video was taken.