What is this,good or bad?

kilbys4

This has been in my tank for a while now and has really gotten big. What is it and is it safe for my tank? I have 2 perc clowns, a blue hippo tang, 2 damsels, lr, shrimp, crabs, snails, feather dusters, and will soon be getting some anemonies for the clowns.

bang guy

It's a Bristle Worm... specifically a Fire Worm.
I'm guessing that it will be a model citizen and just clean up after your fish with leftover food & detritus. There's a 0.03% chance that I'm wrong.

kilbys4

I've heard that fire worms will eat holes in the anemones stem and bore holes in the lr. Is this true or will the anemones be safe?

bang guy

like I said... there's a 0.03% chance that this will be a coral muncher. Your Anemone and rock are 100% safe though.

barry cuda

Can't fireworms cause severe skin irritation if you touch them? I could swear I read that someplace. Probably a good thing to be aware of if it's true.

bang guy

If you have an alergic reaction I suppose a Fire Worm could be fatal. Slim chance though. It will hurt... for a while.

that's why i wear aquarium gloves whenever i reach into my tank - never know what may irritate your skin, and you may forget to clean your hands thoroughly before reaching into the tank. seems like a no brainer. also helpful when moving rock in / out / around - gives a good solid grip.

fender

Keep him. Very beneficial. If you are worried about touching him wear gloves like JerseySaltwater stated. Considering the nasty infections you could get from your tank the gloves are a good idea anyway.