What Is This???

robpsca

was taking pics and noticed this thing under a rock soon as i took its pic it shot inside the rock some sort of worm but never seen one this big and that much detial kinda pretty but ugly at the same time lol

bang guy

It is a Eunicid Bristleworm.
Of the 10,000 or so species of bristleworms the Eunicids are the most likely to cause trouble.
That doesn't mean it will, it's just more likely.
Keep an eye on soft corals and Gorgonians for damage. It won't hurt fish but I would not trust it with fry or larval fish.

robpsca

LOL great. so how frequently will this thing produce babies. and how do ya catch it? a reg bristleworm trap? an electrode in the tank?? lol
what would you suggest Bang

robpsca

Renogaw. lol yeah it is kewl looking. its jaws are like 4 sided pinchers. like the kind in a stuffed animal machine. with the crain that comes down and grabbs the stuffed animal. just like that.
sure gave me the whillies tho.

bang guy

Originally Posted by robPSca
LOL great. so how frequently will this thing produce babies. and how do ya catch it? a reg bristleworm trap? an electrode in the tank?? lol
what would you suggest Bang
I would just leave it unless you see damage to soft corals. I do not believe they are able to reproduce in captivity unless you capture the larvae and protect them from all predators (fish).
Do not touch it with bare fingers. They have Silica Bristles that do not dissolve like the Calcareous bristles of most other worms.
The only way to capture it would be to remove the rock it is in an dip it in saltwater made from Club Soda.

robpsca

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I would just leave it unless you see damage to soft corals. I do not believe they are able to reproduce in captivity unless you capture the larvae and protect them from all predators (fish).
Do not touch it with bare fingers. They have Silica Bristles that do not dissolve like the Calcareous bristles of most other worms.
The only way to capture it would be to remove the rock it is in an dip it in saltwater made from Club Soda.
awesome. thanks again, as always for your informative response.
we dont have any softies near this rock, its more of a foundation piece. but we will deffinately keep an eye out.