What is this?

I have been looking at the threads of poster's tanks and I am seeing what appears to be growth of something on almost all of the tanks glass. It looks like something that would grow in a petry dish. Most tanks have it and no one is commenting on it...so I figure it must not be as bad as it looks. What is it? To me it resembles a algae growth on the glass but is more round in shaped and pinkish purple in color. It appears to be in reef tanks. I didn't want to ask on someones tank post because I didn't want to offend. I don't have a pic for obvious reasons.

m0nk

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/2660451
coralline?

+1
Yeah, I'd say it's coraline. Most people let it build up on glass, but personally I'm more of the "clean look" kinda guy. It's all about personal preference, so if you let it build up or if you clean it, that's all up to you. It's not a bad thing to have and it'll build up on your rock/powerheads/heater/etc anyway.

scopus tang

IME, coralline algae shows up first on the glass, however, it then spreads on to the rockwork etc. It is a extremely important algae to have in your tank, as it acts as a cementing agent on the rockwork, as well as providing an attachment site for many other types of corals. It can be orange, rust, red, pink, or purple in color, and tends to grow in a circular colony. Some forms have other shapes as well. HTH

That is it. So would it be cool to keep it off the side and front and let is grow on the back. I like a clean tank too but want a healthy tank.
Then does it only grow when you have corals... hence then name? I don't have corals yet and that would make sense as to why I haven't seen it in my tank.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Pjlovesbaskets
http:///forum/post/2660982
That is it. So would it be cool to keep it off the side and front and let is grow on the back. I like a clean tank too but want a healthy tank.
Then does it only grow when you have corals... hence then name? I don't have corals yet and that would make sense as to why I haven't seen it in my tank.
coraline algae is just a hard algae that grows on rocks no corals needed, just light and calcium in your tank.. you dont need it to grow on any walls of your tank