What is this?

juliamodel

I am sorry but I do not have a working digital camera. First I have some starfish that have 7 legs and are pink and white. I am wondering do they eat coraline algae? They are pretty small. They are all over my tank and I think they might be eating the algae. Next I have this thing that I have had for like six months. All I can descibe it as is an orb. It started of small then grew to the size of a marble now it is huge. It is shiny and grey in color. It started of green. It seems kind of plant like. Can anyone tell me what this is.
Thanks,
Julia

krux

does the marble have a hole in it? if so it could be a tunicate, if not, it could be the start of the wolrds largest bubble algae cell as sammy suggested.

juliamodel

No it does not have a hole in it. I really need to take a picture of it. Just recently it has started making another one beside it. I have had it a long time. I really think it is plant like because I had some others in the tank that did not make it and they really seemed like plants. It is about 3 inches by 2 inches. It is really strange. I will take a picture of it soon because I really want to document it because I have never seen anything like it. I have some cameras but I have lost their cords or software. Maybe I will just take a regular picture and scan it in. By the way does anyone know if those type of starfish eat coraline algae.
Thanks,
Julia

juliamodel

Hey that looks like it. Except mine is not covered in coraline algae and it doesn't have any green on it. Is that bubble algae?

bang guy

Yup. Valonia sp.
There are many varieties. Some grow slow, some spread like wildfire.
I would suggest removing all that you can find just in case. A couple bubbles is kinda cool but a tank full of them is unsightly.

juliamodel

Oh I do not want to get rid of my weird bubble algae orb. I really like it. The only ones I have are it and the one it has started making beside it. Besides I want to see how big it will get.
I guess I am going to get rid of all my pink and white starfish. I really think they are eating my coraline. Anybody want some starfish:) Maybe I will give them to my nephew. His parents own a fishtank that is 350 gallons. They wanted to do a reef but they did not want to spend the money on it. The starfish would probably make it their.

bang guy

I would be glad to accept some starfish, especially if they eat coralline. I' can then identify them.
Feel free to e-mail me if you're will to ship some.
Guy

sammystingray

hehe keep the bubble algae and get rid of the star?? I would personally go the opposite way. Although it doesn't happen too often, Valonia can get so bad that tanks have to be torn down and restarted. The bubbles grow and the walls get thinner and weaker until the bubbles pop and release spores into the water.....The fact the star is going after algae seems good to me.....watch for any on corals.

juliamodel

It is good that they are eating coralline? I thought that you were suppose to promote coralline growth. I have so many of these starfish that they are making quite a dent in my coralline. I have no idea were they are coming from either. I have not bought anything for nine months. They must be breeding or something. I knew I had a couple of them but just recently I am noticing a whole bunch. I really like them but I hate to lose all my coralline. Maybe I will thin them out and keep a few. A while back I had a sea slug that just appeared in my tank. I should of gave it to somebody. It was actually eating my colt coral. I am postive it was. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was pale yellowish in color and had fringy looking stuff on top. I stuck it in a net to decide what to do with it and forgot about it. Unfortunately it died. I felt really bad about it:(

sammystingray

Lots of nudibranchs eat soft corals....do the stars have some rays (legs) that are shorter?? If they are odd shaped, then they are most probably splitting. Normally many believe, as do I, that things that eat coraline actually spread spores and help it grow, but I would guess that in great enough numbers, anything could do damage that isn't wanted. I would send some to Bang Guy, and let him ID them for you. Maybe borrow a camera as well? The fact they aren't going after corals is very good. BTW some nudis split.....good, very good, idea that you removed him.

juliamodel

Some of the starfish have less legs than others. Does that mean they are splitting? I just always assumed that a fish chewed of their legs or something.
I will look into sending some to bang guy. I don't know how much it would cost to ship though. They are pretty small though so maybe not much.
I am also working on my digital camera today. It is an ixla and it won't work on my updated windows 98. I have been downloading some drivers but I still have not got it to work. I also have another camera but no cord. Hopefully I will get it figured out. It is such a pain when you have to mess with drivers and things.

sammystingray

ophiura is our resident starfish expert, but she is very very busy lately with a new job, so you're stuck with the rest of us. I would guess they are splitting....it's barely a guess, and I would assume it as most probably. Basically there is very little chance of just looking at a little star like that and saying what it eats.....just have to watch it. The biggest concern is to watch for any coral eating. Missing and shorter legs are often signs of splitting.....wham, now there are two of them...they grow them back, and do it again.