What is up with all the ads on the site?

snakeblitz33

Every time I click around my screen I get this ad popup for a DC44 Animal "Dyson digital slim" vacuum cleaner. I wasn't even researching vacuum cleaners and this stupid thing wants me to buy one.
I am using the latest version of Firefox and some freeware anti-popup and advert thing but these ads are getting worse and worse! My sound was turned up just a little tonight and the next thing I know my computer is trying to sell me a vacuum! Frustrating as all get out!
Why does the forum have to have so many ads?? It's very distracting and frustrating when trying to browse the site. It probably turns a lot of potential members away from using the forums, because I know I am getting frustrated with them myself...

snakeblitz33

I kinda get the feeling of playing pac-man when I'm on the forums because I have to hover my pointer around all the adverts to keep them from making noises and popping up ads. UGH!!! Why is saltwaterfish.com even promoting a vacuum, or a trip to Georgia?

sweatervest13

It is pretty bad. But its a free site and they have to try to make $$ some how. So I deal.
Its kind of funny. I Google stuff all the time for correct spellings, or to show a coworker something I referenced. I get the strangest ads on this site. Right now I have a St. Patrick's Day Speedo ad in a pop up.

I agree, nothing is more annoying then having an ad blast sound when you are on this site. I hate the fact that most don't even have a volume or play/pause button.
I stream radio.com and their ads are pretty annoying as well. Most will be controlled by the players volume widget, but there is this gosh darn Rachel Ray ad that goes to the speakers full volume every time it comes on and there is no button to make it stop. Even hitting stop on the player does not silence it. You have to completely close the window. Usually comes on when I am on the phone with a customer so I mad scramble to X out the window. Emailed the company to complain, got a very generic response.
It seems that this is the new way for advertisers to try to get into our wallets.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I keep getting cat litter ads. And I don't own a cat, nor do I browse for cat litter info.

You can't let your mouse wander over on the right of the screen otherwise you get volume to the ads.
The ad blocker is not working for me on IE10.

snakeblitz33

Lately I have also been getting kitty litter ads. Just now it switched to Eukanuba. woohoo... and I don't even own a dog. It's annoying searching on the forums and going around on them because you have to play pac-man with your mouse or else you get a barrage of "BUY ME!" type ads. It's really freaking annoying. If I wasn't already a "usual suspect" on these forums, I wouldn't want to stay because of all the freaking ads.
adblocker isn't working for me either - even on firefox.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if SWF is making a lot of money on the ads. If so, more power to them. But, coincidence or not, I noticed a lot less people participating here since the ads got started.
I don't mind banner ads at the top, or even hobby ads that don't blink, popup, or make noise, but these type ads would drive me out if I wasn't already entrenched here. Other forum do not have the ads so we are in a sense competing with them (and we do have the most annoying ads).

meowzer

I just don't understand why the adblock doesn't work for everyone...........I never get ads since I downloaded it....either in firefox or IE

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What version of IE and firefox are you using? Also, adblock now is pushing to purchase it. So, if you have to download it again, you could have problems.

snakeblitz33

Yup. Like i said, if i wasnt already a regular, i wouldnt stay because of the ads. There are much better forums out there that dont have all of the ads.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm lucky. As a lefty, my mouse doesn't wander over to the ads that much. LOL