what Kalkwasser mix do you use ?

broomer5

Yep guy !
Providing ya got some CO2 in there ;) which we all do.
bicarbonate to carbonate freeing up a couple of hydrogens.
Where are you guys finding this pickling lime at Walmart.
I've looked all over the entire store - know the floorplan by heart - asked the employess ( not going to get into that )
Still can't find it around here :(

dave espi

maxi said...
I use the 2 part B-ionic now, but I would love to find something cheaper.

It amazes me how people spend thousands on captive reefs and expensive dellicate animals yet want the cheepest stuff for it.
you can buy B-IOnic in 2 x 5 gallon pails for 59.00 shipped from Championlighting. That is like .03 cents a fluid ounce. How much cheeper do you want?
The two pails last me a year and a half. All ya have to do is add 4 gal RODI to the concentrate.
HTH
I think SWF.com has it too.

gregzbobo

The wal-marts around here have the pickling lime with the home canning supplies, which at the walmart I went to was near where the rubbermaid storage containers and kitchen trashcans is.

cliffrouse11bas

I am going to start using balls pickling lime on my 29 gallon. I am using a glass top. I dont think it even evaporates about a gallon a week. HOw should I set this up. Also, after I open up my can of Balls Pickling lime how long will the stuff in the can stay good. I know my mix wont stay good but about a week am i correct on this.

cliffrouse11bas

I am going to start using balls pickling lime on my 29 gallon. I am using a glass top. I dont think it even evaporates about a gallon a week. HOw should I set this up. Also, after I open up my can of Balls Pickling lime how long will the stuff in the can stay good. I know my mix wont stay good but about a week am i correct on this.

gregzbobo

The pickling lime should stay good for a while as long as you keep air away from it as much as possible. When I open my first can, I'm going to seal the lid with duct tape when I store it, just to try to keep CO2 out of it as much as possible.