What kind of algae is this??

bang guy

I'm guessing it's Cyanobacteria. If it wipes off easily that's probably it.

From the location in your tank I suspect it is caused by a combination of insufficient waterflow and abundant phosphate. The phosphate is probably from your tap water or you are overfeeding.

jenerally

Ah I figured. Well my phosphates are high (2.0) and I've been cleaning/doing water changes to get them down. But I use RO water all the time, and I only feed once a day with only a few flakes.

flower

I have hair algae in direct flow of the powerhead
Hi,

Can you rub the red off with your finger, or is it crusty? I have red coralline, it's part of the rock and will not rub off. Cyano is gooey, and if you wave your hand over it, it will lift like a carpet in one piece.

bang guy

Ah I figured. Well my phosphates are high (2.0) and I've been cleaning/doing water changes to get them down. But I use RO water all the time, and I only feed once a day with only a few flakes.
Is your filter in good condition? Have you tested the RO water for PO4?

jenerally

I have a sump with live rock and deep sand bed that I keep clean. Sock and activated carbon. Phosphates were 2 before I did a water change yesterday.
I think it is cyano cause I can scrape it off
Therefore, how do I get rid of it?

beaslbob

I have a sump with live rock and deep sand bed that I keep clean. Sock and activated carbon. Phosphates were 2 before I did a water change yesterday.
I think it is cyano cause I can scrape it off
Therefore, how do I get rid of it?
1. kill your lights
2. don't add food for a week. then feed once per week
3. Add chaetomorphia (and a light) to your sump and keep it lit while the display is blacked out.
4. after the cyano is gone. (3 days -a couple of weeks) resume with half light (duration) and half feeding. Adjust so that things thrive (more) and cyano stays away (less)
my .02

beaslbob

a refugium can also be in tank. Just a partition to keep the alage eaters away from the macros.

beaslbob

Fish actually don't need any light. at least for a short time.
the only real concern is corals, corraline algae etc etd the actually need light. Even those can survive in the dark for a few weeks though.

Come to think about it all the fish would do is chill out. LOL