What kind of snake is this?

mrdc

I get a lot of snakes in the pool and I think they are harmless rat snakes. What do you think?

sethw

IDk... I see many snakes around where i live, and that to me might be one of many:
Hognose
Pigmy (venomous)
???
By looks of the shape of its head... Leave it alone.... I mean, you can look closer than i can, but does it have a thicker hear, like in the shape of a heart, the top butt like part of it being where the body starts, or it is a smaller, straight head, if it is a rattler, you will b able to see its tail... But yeah... cna you possilby get a close pic IF IT ISNT VENOMOUS...

lovethesea

small rat snake. My dad has them all over his property in North Georgia.
Hence my fear and hebejeebees in general about snakes. :scared: :help:

sethw

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
some type of banded water snake?

No Dan, that is not a water snake, i have had three watersnakes of my own, and i kow thatn all by heart, and the very precise patterns on that snake are not that of a banded water snake, tho it was in water... But it is not water snkae that is really NATIVE ot GA/FL...

sharkboy13

hmm, maybe a kingsnake, no no, maybe a mangrove water snake or a atlantic salt marsh snake, looks like a juvi, try to get a better pic more up close

sharkboy13

i doubt it is but maybe a juvi florida cottonmouth (i no florida but they do go thru alabama and south georgia..

sethw

no, its cant be a cottonmouth... the colros are too distinct,,, the CM's are very bluirred almost, i ve seen many, and that is no cottonmout, this intrigues me, i HAVE to find out what this snake it now....lol

ryanhayes9

belive me, me and seth know cottonmouths as we have killed MANY. we live near lakes and rivers etc. seth stomped on a baby one to death my my front door and my dog was playing with a racer. she play bowed when it struck, pinned it down and pulled it apart!liol

lovethesea

have any of you checked out the juvi on the link that I provided?
I am almost positive that is his snake.
:scared:

dogstar

Yea, but those photos are clear. Im saying that mrdc's photo is not. Many snakes can have simular patterens and chang with age, --- and seasons as to what they look like.
mrdc should post a lot more close ups especally of the head....if he wants us to be sure. I dont see how anyone could offer a '' positive ID '' from that one pic. IMO

lovethesea

that is the first thing I tought of when I saw the pic. My dad lives with many snakes on his property and this one is a juvi. Mrdc is from Georgia also.
my $$$ on juvi rat.

shogun323

Originally Posted by lovethesea
my $$$ on juvi rat.

Dogstar I couldn't agree with you more. However, my money is with you Lovesthesea!

kmc

Looks like a south Georgia pool snake. They like to hang out in the skimmers and scare the crap out of you when you take the lid off.

lovethesea

I'm with Dogstar too as far as always being careful. Thats why I walk around with that silly paper. 80 + acreas has A LOT of scary things crawling around on it. And at night.....forget about it. I can't even see a foot in front of me. BUT oh, the things I HEAR!! There is a BIG snake that lives in the woodpile next to my dads house. I don't know who scares who first.....me scaring the big snake in the pile or HIM scaring me to death.
:help: