What must the neighbor's think?? + What to do with busted huge tank?

aquaknight

Long story short, as some of you may remember, my 240gal popped it's braces a couple months back. I was able to catch the tank and partially drain it before it shattered (with how much that SOB was bowed, I have no doubt it would have). Anyway for last, very long while, my tank has been living sorta at half staff, with the tank half-filled, awaiting me finding another tank. Luckily my stocklist is sort of light, only 5 fish, though 2 are decent sized, adjusted to living with suddenly half the water height.
Anyway so I'm in the process of switching out the tanks, and took this pic, thought 2 8-foot tanks lying out front was funny. Both tanks spent 2 nights out front, broken one (background) I don't know what to do with, the new (foreground) is getting it's trim painted.

I also am taking this opportunity to up size the refugium from a 40gal breeder, to a 55gal(half pictured on the left).... In reality, I cracked the 40gal cutting the plumbing, and Petland had $1/gal tank sales. As the story of my life goes, the 75gal that I really wanted as the fuge, wouldn't fit into the stand, literally like by 1".
So my question what to do with the broken tank? I heard that most of these big tanks that break/leak/etc end up as reptile tanks? Any truth to that? I would never pawn this tank on someone, but I think that if I spent some time re-doing the tank, thick euro-bracing all around with lots of cross-brace, it could be made whole again. Though for the $300 I'd spend in glass, I doubt I could recoup much after? Would a glass shop be interested in this? There are 3 large panels, but I was told unlikely because the glass isn't perfect (scratches)?

al&burke

What to do with the old tank, would it be worth taking apart and having a glass shop cut the glass into a custom sizes for your new sump and you putting it back together, I think from what i read you are a pretty handy person, just a thought AquaKnight.

2quills

What about ordering some plastic trim for it? Or like, Al mentioned, cut it down and either make a sump or a couple of frag tanks out of it.

B

brandonsivek

I would try to sell it as a Reptile tank honestly. I wanted to have some glass cut for my tank, to replace some glass hinged lids that had broke. The glass I needed cut was not that big, and it was still going to end up being around 50 bucks (now this is what I was going to pay, but I later found out I talked to the most expensive glass shop in town). I would think with the time and effort it would take to make more tanks out of that one, that it would be easier and cheaper just to buy more tanks from that dollar a gallon sale. And hey, if you could sell it for 100 bucks, there is 100 gallons of tank right there! JMO

acrylic51

You could try to sell it as a reptile tank....Wish I was close I'd take it off your hands.....What brand tank is it?

aquaknight

Manufacture is OceanView. Yea, 2,000 miles round trip isn't quite economical

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't see myself cutting it up for another tank for myself at least, as I've got way too many already. I did have a thought, since the tank never did break or leak itself, I guess to the right person they could turn it into a sump. Have like a 100gal fuge, 40gal return, and huge equipment area, would be cool. Doubt I'll ever find that person (or they'd be interested in it) though. I did list it locally and have gotten a few nibbles, tho just 'how much would it be to fix?'

al&burke

I think all you would have to do is put some glass braces on the top, the baffles in the sump fuge would help as well.

aquaknight

I think I literally heard that uttered from the fish as they went back in, possibly 'finally! freedom!' as well.

Only incident was a chunk out of the Annularis' tail, possibly by the Blueface, most likely the Crosshatch. Should heal up quickly though.