What salinity do y'all keep your reefs at?

gregzbobo

About 1.024-1.026 is about average around the worlds coral reefs. The Red Sea is a bit higher, not sure exactly how much though.

jefflg

Ok now this thread raises a question I have. My LFS told me to keep my salinity at .20 because of my altitude (7200 ft) has any research been done on the effects of altitude on the reef systems?

bang guy

Altitude... hmmmm That's a darn good question! I know for a fact that our critters naturally occur below Sea Level ROFL :D
I have never ever considered altitude. I will devote some time to pondering that question. Off-hand I don't see how altitude can affect Salinity and it's effects on saltwater animals... but it deserves some thought.
Guy

broomer5

Keeping a reef tank at higher than sea level conditions - will mostly affect the gasses in solution.
The atmospheric pressure at sea level is roughly 0.0 psig ( pounds per square inch gauge ) - or 14.7 psia absolute pressure.
The solubility of gasses in saltwater solution will vary with atmospheric pressure changes above that of sea level solubilities.
Vapor pressures and partial pressures will affect the gasses in solution and the evaporation rate of the tank.
Salinity - on the other hand - is mearly a ratio of stuff per stuff.
The mass of the sodium and chloride ions per the total mass of the solution.
35 ppt or parts per thousand - normal sea water salinity - is just that.
35 grams of Na+Cl- per thousand grams of seawater.
It's a measure of parts per thousand - at any given temperature and at any given pressure.
Stuff is stuff - matter is matter - and in a soluble phase - the pressure should not affect the ratio.
If you follow the specific gravity route - and look at a liquid's density as compared to the density of pure water - then the volume and temperature come into play.
What's the temperature of the hydrometer calibrated to, and what is the volume of water.
Actual water volume ( although most agree the volume of a liquid does not expand and contract or is compressible in practical terms ) does indeed expand and contract with changes in atmospheric pressure.
This certainly holds true UNDERWATER where density changes occur.
But if you're up a mile or so above sea level - living out in Colorado or something - I would imagine that the amount of volume change of the tankwater would be somewhat negligable.
If you continued on up to the outer edges of Earth's atmosphere, and out of Earth's gravity - all bets are off.
Anyone want to run a reef tank on the Shuttle. I'll go !
Better have a good lid on that tank.
Using ppt as your guide - the salinity should not change.
Using S.G. as your guide - yeah there may be a slight change in densities from sea level to a mile or so up - but what that change would be - I don't know.
Would have to really dig into this one too.
I would be interested in hearing more about this. Pretty wild to think about.
I think I'd be more concerned with how the pressure ( or lack of pressure ) would affect the tankwater chemistry, CO2 and O2, and how that would affect the total chemistry of the reef tank.
Most everything we read is always compared to "seawater" conditions ~ not keeping a reef tank in Denver.

jefflg

I said salinity but meant sg. Everything in my reef is doing well and growing and vibrant. It is just that I have never seen anything posted or written about altitude. Just value the experience shown on the board and thought someone would know of some research that has been done. Maybe I will run the experiments.:eek:

rsd

The only thing I've come to understand is the gas exchange rate at higher altitudes can change. I've been told that if you are having problems keeping fish, especially ones that will try to sleep low and in caves (as most do) and are having a "die off" of fish at night or in morning that you could have an o2 problem. It seems that Your tank can convert/lose large amounts of O2 at night and the drop being largest just as your lights turn on and at higher altitudes your O2 levels can be really impacted.
I have known people who when they moved to higher elevations had a bubble wall placed into their sumps on a timer (to run at night) to help increase the air/water interaction to counteract this problem. Incidentally these same people moved an existing tank from at/near sealevel to a higher elevation and were losing fish left and right... 1 person noticed that his fish were really "breathing" hard in the mornings and were slightly discolored... litterally gasping for air.
He said he had a "damsel in distress".
Here at sealevel I couldn't cram more O2 in if I tried... at least so my test kit tells me so.

jonthefb

hey broomer, id be willing to send you a smaple of my water(up in beautiful colorado here) if you wanna test the sg at the altitude that you are at, or anyone else for that matter. this does really interest me because i am so high up 4,658 feet to be exact, so were not as high as denver, but still up there. i think im also going to have to splurge for a dissolved oxygen kit, cause i think it would be worthewhile to find out. this makes total sense, adn hen fish purchases here should wait for awhile after first being receive so that they can adjust to altitude as well as tank temp, salinity, etc. never really thoguht of this, just like someone coming to co, from ca or the coast! verrry interesting!
good luck
jon

bang guy

Broomer,
Thank you for that great information! So, from what you said, Salinity shouldn't be lowered for altitude. Sounds like a skimmer would be a must for the gas exchange. It also sounds like a really good reason for a RDP lit refugium.

jefflg

Would not a skimmer and wet/dry over bio balls in essence give you the O2 exchange we need in altitude? When I get new critters it will take me anywhere between 2 or 4 hours before I call them acclimated to my water. Just because I buy fish and corals at 4600 ft and then bring them up to 7200 ft. I know for a fact that my SG is lower than my LFS and critters I buy on the net. Not to mention the chemistry.

pickyone

just wondering the effects of the fish when they are shipped on our airplanes with the altitude changes. just a thought

escape2thewater

Wow, this thread must have been buried deep into the swf.com archives! I keep mine at 1.027 though, at least on my pos floating arm sg meter.
Escape
:happyfish