What salt do you use?

mantisman51

I use Instant Ocean. I have no issues with PH fluctuation, which I have heard can happen with some salt. It is relatively inexpensive, which the way I do water changes so often, is a huge plus. Some folks have said they spend almost a hundred dollars per 50 gal bag/bucket. I can't see it, but as I stated elsewhere today, alot of people feel the need to spend the most to get what they feel is quality.

legion

oceanic
ph= 8.5
alk= 3.0
cal= 450-500
mag= 1380
no3= 0
My IO I used before was low on all these, but I did get 0 nitrate. I also used Reef crystals, but I believe oceanic is better.

whyamisofl

Have used Tropic Marin Pro Reef, Reef Crystals, and Oceanic.......
I will stick with Oceanic - best levels out of all of them for me.

mantisman51

I had been using Coralife, but it was not very "strong". I was using about 25%
more volume of it ,compared with IO, to get 1.024 sg. I have 3 types of coral:green zoas, blue spotted mushrooms and bubble. The shrooms and zoas have doubled in size and number in the last 4 months since I got them. So, I going to keep using IO. Why replace what works? BTW, I am an accidental reef keeper. I bought 60 lbs of LR and coral started sprouting everywhere.

helpme74

I'm thinking about switching to Tropic Marin Pro Reef anyone have anything to say about Tropic Marin Pro Reef? Let me know the good things too.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by helpme74
http:///forum/post/2861946
I'm thinking about switching to Tropic Marin Pro Reef anyone have anything to say about Tropic Marin Pro Reef? Let me know the good things too.

I have used both oceanic and tropic marin pro reef. Both dissolve fast when mixing but for the price I think oceanic is the best deal. I honestly did not see a benefit while using tropic marin pro. It was just more expensive and less salt for the money.

t316

At least with reef crystals, you get a free t-shirt in the bottom of the bucket...

paxrom

I used to use IO reef crystal until 2 months ago I switched to Tropic Marin Pro reef. I will probably never go back to IO.
Reason: IO reef tends to leave white residues at the bottom after mixing. Tropic Marin completely dissolve and gives crystal clear saltwater.
IO salt mix becomes cakes in storages while Tropic Marin does not.
Overall I am very happy I switched to TM
I tested my TM at 1.025sg and Ca is at around 420-440ppm with API test kit which is exactly what I want!

t316

Originally Posted by Paxrom
http:///forum/post/2862037
I used to use IO reef crystal 2 months ago until I switched to Tropic Marin Pro reef. I will probably never go back to IO.
Reason: IO reef tends to leave white residues at the bottom after mixing. Tropic Marin completely dissolve and gives crystal clear saltwater.
IO salt mix becomes cakes in storages while Tropic Marin does not.
Overall I am very happy I switched to TM
I tested my TM at 1.025sg and Ca is at around 420-440ppm with API test kit which is exactly what I want!
Good point, I do occassionally have a few white flakes in the bottom of the mix up tub from reef crystals. How much is Tropic Marin Pro costing now...5 gal. bucket?

paxrom

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2862051
Good point, I do occassionally have a few white flakes in the bottom of the mix up tub from reef crystals. How much is Tropic Marin Pro costing now...5 gal. bucket?
bought mine for $70.

gman08016

I use Get Tanked salt from Garry in P.A.I don't need to dose with anything and my pars are right in check.150 gal mix cost about $60.00 with shipping.I know a couple of people here use it and live by it.

J

justin podolan

I too started with instant ocean and switched to reef crystals
about two months a go.

deejeff442

coralife here.$48 a 150 gallon bucket and also a shirt.
i have tried the more expensive salts but see no difference.
although mine is a fowlr tank.
cannot compare it to corals,since i only have some mushrooms,polyps and sponge on the rocks.

topfins-mj

I used Reef Crystals for a year and my tank was concistently unstable. I lost a few corals. Perhaps I needed to supplement more. I switched to Tropic Marine Pro Reef and I am into my second 5 gallong bucket. I really like this salt. It dissolves well, and does not produce so much algae on my glass. My corals are happy and I can slack off on maintenance a little with no effects.
Yes it costs twice as much but my corals, when added in price are worth more than me skimming on the price of salt. I also use less salt to get 1.025 Salinity.
I guess it's just a matter of trying a brand and recording results. Get a log book like I did.
Plus one for TP Pro Reef