what size power head?

meowzer

Fish are stronger than you think......just add the flow as you can, or as you think it is needed. You will know if there are dead spots cause you will see detrius and stuff accumulate there

king_neptune

Originally Posted by subie41ife
http:///forum/post/3254180
ok thank you very much! Im just going to do it the right way to start and get 2x k2's
It just seems like its going to be a lot of flow for a FOWLR and my fish will be getting blown all over my tank :0(
Which is exactly why you put your powerheads in place with thought. Your goal is to creat back eddy's for the fist to rest in. They will feel the current for weak spots to rest, but they also thouroughly enjoy swimming in a current. they are fish after all.
Eddy currents look like this:
========>>>>===>>=====WaterFlow======>>>=====>>>>=======>>>
eddy(neutral zone between currents, this is the resting place often a few feet from shore, or near a log ect)
<<<=========<<<<<=======waterflow=========<<<<<======<<<<<

handbanana

I have a K-1(weak) and a K-4 and a maxi-jet w/ mod in my 55 FOWLR. I was under the impression there should not be any spots with little or no water flow. How do I acheve this eddy? I have my k4 and maxi at each end of my tank pointing in towards my "lagoon" of rocks in the center. My k1 broke off its mounting magnet so it is nestled in my rocks blowing down behind them. kind of.

subie41ife

ok well I ordered two k-2's. I will be getting this week. I'm still not totally sure on how to place them in my tank tho :0(
I added even more live rock so now I have over 60lbs and wanna make sure its set up perfect so I have no dead spots.
Theres some room behind the rocks. maybe like a inch in some spots but then 4 or 5 inches in other spots
I figured i would post some pictures to show how my tank it set up and maybe be able to help me to place them in the best spots.
Thank you in advance!

handbanana

Heres my other .02
I drew on your pic where I would put the K-2's.
Id use the other PHs to eliminate dead spots after that.
You might want to find a home for one of those clowns. Three of a kind usually doesn't work out. sometimes it does tho... who knows.

mony97

Good lookin tank subie, I would agree with banana though the third clown will have to go :( or the other to will kick him out.. And its funny how much time and thought goes into placing powerheads, who would have known?
Hey Nick how much change you got over there? Your throwing all that .02 around like you got the big money haha!! must be all that "pot" your growing haha silly neighbors..

handbanana

Hey, I got change for days.
I sell my neighbors dime bags for 1000 pennies. LOL jk of coarse.
sadly though I'm broke. Ill hand out IOU's from now on! hee hee...
I just re did my power heads for the who-knows-how-many-times time.

subie41ife

ok, well I finally got home and got to put my new powerheads in!!! I also put more live rock in my tank. im not sure but I feel like I should maybe take the topright one and shoot it behind the rocks, now that there is more space behind them?

subie41ife

or i was thinking about taking my small one and putting it on the other side and just have it shoot behind the rocks

subie41ife

lol thank you. I must say. im very happy with these powerheads! Thank you in the first place meowzer for telling me to go with these.
The powerheads only been in the tank for an hour and my fish love swiming in the high current
Thank you nick, and thanx for the help!

meowzer

You are welcome.....My one remaining anthias goes in front of the Koralia 1050....swims as hard as it can up to it...then lets the movemenet move it back.....it's so funny to watch
wonder what it will do when I get the Koralia 1400 lol

mony97

Tank is still lookin good man, hope the powerheads keep on keepin on I love mine and also had a fun time getting them just right. Mine was kind of funny though because I used the cyano that was taking over my tank to see what areas were dead, and which were movin haha, I would chill there and watch the cyano move back and forth to see if I had finally figured it out..
And that is awesome meowzer, and would be great to watch.. My two spot tries to be cool and swim up to them but cant quite make it.. The others just use it as an underwater water slide haha

jeff10

I got the Emperor Filter with 400 GPH sucking strength lol
A 40 Gal bowfront (Fish Only, couple of rocks, a few decorations), I was thinking of a Koralia 1 to put at the other end of the tank on the bottom aimed up at an angle, yes?? No???

meowzer

Originally Posted by Jeff10
http:///forum/post/3261511
I got the Emperor Filter with 400 GPH sucking strength lol
A 40 Gal bowfront (Fish Only, couple of rocks, a few decorations), I was thinking of a Koralia 1 to put at the other end of the tank on the bottom aimed up at an angle, yes?? No???
What other Powerheads do you have? A K1 is not very strong at all