What Skimmer To Buy

ohiostater

I'm looking to get a PS for a 150 gal medium to high bio-load tank and I don't want to break the bank. What skimmer would you recommend and why.
Thanks

C

capschamp

if you're looking for a hang on back style thw aqua c remora or cpr bak pak are good, not sure if they're enough for a 150 or not. check reputable auctions for the best deals on any skimmer.
GO BUCKS!

ohiostater

I'm looking for something in the sump. I believe those skimmers are for 75 gal tanks. Capschamp did you go to OSU or just like the buckeyes?

stanlalee

how much is not breaking the bank? the cheapest effective option is the Octopus NW-200 for $200. a few common mods make it even better. 8" reaction chamber, 24" tall, 790gph needle wheel pump. rated at 260 gallons but using Euroreef's ratings (since its a copy of the euroreef RS 180 and has the exact same demensions) its probably good up to 180 gallons.

ccampbell57

I have a ASM G3 in my tank and it is working like a charm. I was told that a G2 would suffice, but as I have found out over the years spending the little extra up front will save a lot in the back end.
I paid $280ish for this skimmer and it has never let me down.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by nietzsche
what about the bubble master by ati?

the cheapest bubble master is over $600

C

capschamp

Originally Posted by ohiostater
I'm looking for something in the sump. I believe those skimmers are for 75 gal tanks. Capschamp did you go to OSU or just like the buckeyes?
Lots of friends went to TOSU, now little brothers and sisters of those friends. And LOVE the bucks. (blew a pretty penny to make a january trip to glendale)
200 is a steal for a decent skimmer in my opinion. You usually get what you pay for.

ohiostater

Thanks for all the replies. My budget is $400 total (pumps needed, if any and shipping) There are a lot of choices out there, and without being able to test drive all of them, which is why I posted this question. So, with this budget are your choices still the same? any others that come to mind?
Thanks for all the help!

stanlalee

do you have any other preferences: size, noise ect
AquaC EV 180 is relatively tiny yet powerful. about $400 after you buy a pump (about $330 without)
MRC MR1 extremely powerful beckett but an energy hog due to pump size required also close to $400 after you buy the large pump skimmer it self is $320 the way you want it ($275 the way you dont)
Tunze DOC virtually silent and small, draws hardly any power. dont get the 9015, its the same as the 9010 with smaller collection cup all other specs are the same except the price ($100 dollar difference). about $330 for the 9010 pump built it. I've never seen one skim as dry as the others here are capable of but that is only an issue if you want to make mud.
Octopus DNW-200. post in the equipment forum here recirc version of regular needle wheel octopussy's about $380 pump included (although you'll need a small powerhead to feed it if you dont plump it like in the thread).

ohiostater

I had an AquaC EV-200 (old model) and wasn't that thrilled with it. I have an Iwaki MD-30RLT so if I look at 1 that needs a pump I would hope I could use that 1. Size should be equivalent in size if possible and preferably be put in the sump.