What Tangs?

brokendeck

What tangs can go together with a blue hippo and yellow tang? What ever tangs you list all half to get along.

srfisher17

If your profile is correct; I think you're already overloaded on tangs. IMO, a 75 is way too small for a blue hippo and marginal, at best, for a yellow. Cramped quarters=stress=aggression=dead fish.

meowzer

SRFISHER, I think he is asking for his new tank....he is getting a 180G
Broke.....I have a sailfin, hippo and yellow in my 225G.....no big issues...every once in a while they do the tail swat thing though....

brokendeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfisher17 http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3337628
If your profile is correct; I think you're already overloaded on tangs. IMO, a 75 is way too small for a blue hippo and marginal, at best, for a yellow. Cramped quarters=stress=aggression=dead fish.
im asking bc im upgrading to a 180 but i figured most of the everyday forum people would know that. im pretty sure u already commented on my other thread about upgrading my tank.

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokendeck http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3337631
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3337628
Sorry, I don't remember...getting old.
im asking bc im upgrading to a 180 but i figured most of the everyday forum people would know that. im pretty sure u already commented on my other thread about upgrading my tank.

deejeff442

how big is the yellow.this guy is the problem they are very aggressive to other tangs.i have gad 5 tangs in a tank.all got along but its the size and adding order that really helps.
dont put the yellow in the new tank before another tang.add at the same time and make sure they are at least the same size or the new tang is a little bigger.you could add a bunch of other kinds.unicorn,kole,naso,chocolate,orange shoulder,achilles.usually no problems with the hippo since they are a mello fish and dont have the same body shape as most other tangs.
i had a hippo,purple,unicorn,achilles and sailfin.untill my nasty bout with some super ich.sucks because i had my purple for 6 or 7 years.i just couldnt get a handle on the ich.it kept coming back for well over a year.3 hypo and one copper treatment.in that span.

btldreef

I would not add a Sailfin, or any other Zebrasoma species with a Yellow Tang if you want to avoid aggression. Sure, sometimes it works, but the larger majority of the time, it does not. A Naso tang would be nice, as well as a Kole, Tomini, or even possibly a Powder blue/brown. If you're willing to spend the money, I think Chevron Tangs are beautiful and would go well with your blue hippo and yellow.

brokendeck

ill look into all the different tangs you guys named. the hippo i have is about a inch in size bigger than my yellow. the yellow is about 3 inch if i had to guess. so when i move the fish over to the new tank, add all the tangs at the same time as the yellow or just the new tang i get?

mjm889

the naso will proably get along the best with two you have already imo. My advice would be to get a naso the is slightly bigger than the other two and add him when the lights are off and the room is dark to reduce the stress and aggression

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3337788
the naso will proably get along the best with two you have already imo. My advice would be to get a naso the is slightly bigger than the other two and add him when the lights are off and the room is dark to reduce the stress and aggression
See, now I would advise a Naso of the same size or slightly smaller....

deejeff442

my purple and sailfin got along fine even in the 90 gallon they were in for the first year.but i have a hippo and sailfin now and i am going to get a naso .after the holidays

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3337818
my purple and sailfin got along fine even in the 90 gallon they were in for the first year.but i have a hippo and sailfin now and i am going to get a naso .after the holidays
I guess this is why they say every fish is different. My sailfin did nothing but beat on my Blonde Naso and Copperband Butterfly and started to abuse my Purple Tang (which I expected) so I just got rid of her.

deejeff442

i think it really matters in size and order added.but still need a bigger tank and lots of rock.i had my 5 inch purple for years.i added a 7 inch achilles.the achilles was almost twice the size of the purple.well as soon as i put the achilles in the tank the purple flew out from behind a rock and nipped at the achilles.funny because all the achilles did was turn around and i swear he looked at the purple like are you kidding.that was the end of that .never bothered each other again.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokendeck http:///forum/thread/382439/what-tangs#post_3338075
so if i got a naso would i have to put all 3 tangsin at the same time?
Or the Naso could go in last, as long as he's a little bigger. If he's smaller or the same size, the same time is best. Since you're moving to a bigger tank, it might be good to do all 3 at the same time since the two you already have will need to establish new territory as well.

mjm889

i agree with btl if you can add all 3 at the same time go that route, Tangs can be tricky sometimes,

al mc

Consider an Achilles. i have one in my 156 with a Yellow and Hippo. They appear to get along quite well. Sequence of addition: Yellow, then Blue, then Achilles. Had the combo for about a year.