What test kits do you trust?

fish fizz

Just curious what kits you trust or have had the most success with. I currently have some api kits and sea lab. Are either reliable? A few other question I would like to know is, are there any electronic testing units that are reliable for ph, calcium, anything? Do they ever go bad? Also, in my red sea test kit which has NO3, PO4, and CA it also has many of their success supplements like trace, strontium, etc. On these small bottles there are number printed/stamped like 0311, 1109, or 1210. Are these the expiration dates? Thanks!

sharkbait9

The only test kits I trust as of now are salifert then LaMotte. I know I can trust these kits as they are very close to what my monitors that I use are reading out.
Salifert and LaMotte as a stand alone test kits are by far the most accurate I have used and trust.
They are on the more expensive side but when it comes to money spent on coral I would rather be sure my water chemistry is on target.

geoj

Originally Posted by fish fizz
http:///forum/post/2897962
Just curious what kits you trust or have had the most success with. I currently have some api kits and sea lab. Are either reliable? A few other question I would like to know is, are there any electronic testing units that are reliable for ph, calcium, anything? Do they ever go bad? Also, in my red sea test kit which has NO3, PO4, and CA it also has many of their success supplements like trace, strontium, etc. On these small bottles there are number printed/stamped like 0311, 1109, or 1210. Are these the expiration dates? Thanks!
API is reliable for the ballpark tests.
Salifert, Sera, and Seachem take some practice to get good readings for the most part but are more precise when you get good.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2898014
Salifert, Sera, and Seachem take some practice to get good readings for the most part but are more precise when you get good.
Good point. Test kits are only as reliable as the human using them.

d-dzel

I just bought the Red Sea kit and it seems kinda confusing. I'll be making my first water check later today. If it turns out bad, I might buy the Salifert ones instead.

D

dennis210

Hagen - reliable and inexspensive. You need good proceedure though.
Start with clean test tubes
fill so bottom of miniscus is at the line (water in test tube curved, use low end
shake/mix vials of reagent
shake/mix sample after adding reagent
follow directions
interpet end result.
Any test that uses a titration method instead of a dip the strip will be more accurate, but at the same time pose more chances for error in proceedure.
Hagen's I use are Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity (Hardness test kit KH), & Calcium. I use a Red Sea for Magnesium. Here is a benefit for Hagen - you can buy just the reagent you need - not the whole kit! I believe them to be accurate enough as when checked against other kits and electronic digital readers my results have always been right on.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2898014
API is reliable for the ballpark tests.
If I dont want to spend $15-20 per test would I be okay using AP for nitrate, nitrite, etc and but Salifert for magnesium, ammonia, etc?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
http:///forum/post/2903396
If I dont want to spend $15-20 per test would I be okay using AP for nitrate, nitrite, etc and but Salifert for magnesium, ammonia, etc?
Reef or FO? If its FO, I wouldn't even test for mag.
If you want to know what tests are most important, I'd keep track of pH, alk, and nitrate.
Nitrite and ammonia should be 0 after cycling... and really after that, if there's any reading, its a problem.
Calc, mag, and other elemental tests are only necessary for reefs.

todj2002

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2898553
Hagen - reliable and inexspensive. You need good proceedure though.
Start with clean test tubes
fill so bottom of miniscus is at the line (water in test tube curved, use low end
shake/mix vials of reagent
shake/mix sample after adding reagent
follow directions
interpet end result.
Any test that uses a titration method instead of a dip the strip will be more accurate, but at the same time pose more chances for error in proceedure.
Hagen's I use are Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity (Hardness test kit KH), & Calcium. I use a Red Sea for Magnesium. Here is a benefit for Hagen - you can buy just the reagent you need - not the whole kit! I believe them to be accurate enough as when checked against other kits and electronic digital readers my results have always been right on.

COOL! i posted twice asking if anyabody had any info about hagen test kits and got zero responses. i have had mine for over a year. i think i paid like 60 bucks for it. I like it.

bang guy

1 - Hach
2 - Salifert
3 - LaMotte
I can't afford $1,000.00 a year for test kits so I use Salifert instead of Hach.

mboswell1982

ive been told the tunze test kits are good, same with salifert, once we can afford em, we're prolly gonna get the full line of salifert kits