What to buy...370z or RX-8

crypt keeper

I just read an a Motor trend Comparison with the hyundai genesis coupe vs the g37. They said the hyundai genesis gave it a great run for its money for thousands upon thousands less and was the winner.
Its something to think about. Personally Im all about American cars. If you are going to spend that type of coin why not get the new Camaro?

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3106168
I just read an a Motor trend Comparison with the hyundai genesis coupe vs the g37. They said the hyundai genesis gave it a great run for its money for thousands upon thousands less and was the winner.
Its something to think about. Personally Im all about American cars. If you are going to spend that type of coin why not get the new Camaro?
I waited for years for the new camaro.....
Passed up several corvettes and others just so I could wait and be ready for it........They are terrible. I am a die hard chevy guy and I would be embarassed to drive one because of how silly they look. Was ready with bells on for them to come out and such a let down it was like someone was pulling a joke on car buyers.
Like just when you think they couldnt make a worse vehicle than the SSR they bring us the new Camaro....

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3106792
Passed up several corvettes and others just so I could wait and be ready for it........They are terrible. I am a die hard chevy guy and I would be embarassed to drive one because of how silly they look. Was ready with bells on for them to come out and such a let down it was like someone was pulling a joke on car buyers.
Like just when you think they couldnt make a worse vehicle than the SSR they bring us the new Camaro....
You my friend are some serious mind altering medication. It is by far the best of the new retro cars out.
Everytime you see one which is rare and not a dime a dozen corvette or mustang You know exactly what it is. Nothing out even comes close to its looks.

drewdog82

Thanks for all of the input. Personally, and from experience, I'm not a fan of american made cars and have had much better luck with foreign. I also did some research on all of the vehicles and am pretty sure I'm going to save up a little extra and get the G-37 coupe. I would start test driving, but if I fall in love it I'm very impulsive, so I will have to wait to do that. I also spoke to someone with an RX-8 and he told me it was the worst mistake of his life. Likewise I spoke to someone with the new G-37 and he absolutelly loved it.

aquaknight

Well, to me, the whole point of a sports car is to go fast, esp. one that wouldn't need to sacrifice anything to be the daily driver (the accord would do that). So I would really consider a used Corvette ZO6, either C5 ZO6 if you're looking for the $25 range, or C6 ZO6 if you're in the $45k-$50k range. Very few cars are faster, esp. against that mighty C6 ZO6.
These are sports car. None of the cars are going to impress you with the amenities or luxury. If you're looking for that, switch to a Grand Tourer...
As far as the Camaro, with GM selling 400 Camaro's a day, it's a smash hit. The problem is that it's such iconic figure, everyone has their own little idea inside their head what the Camaro should have looked like, and it's impossible to please everyone. The same thing happened with GTO. GM brought a modern GTO and everyone clamoured it was plain and boring. GM did the opposite with the Camaro, brought a semi-retro, and suddenly it's an over-the-top cartoon car.

nissan577

Originally Posted by drewdog82
http:///forum/post/3115681
Thanks for all of the input. Personally, and from experience, I'm not a fan of american made cars and have had much better luck with foreign. I also did some research on all of the vehicles and am pretty sure I'm going to save up a little extra and get the G-37 coupe. I would start test driving, but if I fall in love it I'm very impulsive, so I will have to wait to do that. I also spoke to someone with an RX-8 and he told me it was the worst mistake of his life. Likewise I spoke to someone with the new G-37 and he absolutelly loved it.
your fired!

drewdog82

Well I test drove a few and I fell in love with the 2010 Mazda RX-8 R3. It's a 6 speed and the handling is incredible and the price tag wasn't bad either. I just bought the blue one Wed. night. Thanks again for all the opinions and help...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3104680
While the lancer may perform like a sports car it's got to be one of the ugliest cars on the road these days. Its got nothing on the 370z or RX8 as far as styling goes...
They looked good 6 or 7 years ago when they came out...
Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3106792
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. To be instead of designing something that is their own, they tried to much to lean on what worked 30 years ago. Then tweak it. It just doesn't look good.
Originally Posted by AquaKnight

http:///forum/post/3115890
As far as the Camaro, with GM selling 400 Camaro's a day, it's a smash hit. The problem is that it's such iconic figure, everyone has their own little idea inside their head what the Camaro should have looked like, and it's impossible to please everyone. The same thing happened with GTO. GM brought a modern GTO and everyone clamoured it was plain and boring. GM did the opposite with the Camaro, brought a semi-retro, and suddenly it's an over-the-top cartoon car.

The GTO just looked bad. Remember when that came out, it looked like a mix of an old Taurus and poop. At a time where a more boxy look was coming into play (think CTS) they made a sports car that looked like something that should have been produced 10 years early.

al mc

Not to complicate matters but my wife loves her Jag XF. Nice combination of technology, room and speed. I get to drive the Tundra. :((

http:///forum/post/3139117

He got the rx8. I see more girls driving that "sports" car than men
I used to drive a miata and got made fun of for it. Lots of girls drive them... but it doesn't make it any less of a sports car. The best part about that car was the look on the guys face who was driving the muscle car after I stomped them.
Mmmmm BPZE turbo charged power.... 210whp in a car that weighs 2000lbs

God I miss that car
... had to sell her when I moved to the US. She used to bark fire out the exhaust between shifts. Oh well... I will be picking up a 09 STi soon and maybe picking another miata up as a project car.

U

usirchchris

RX8 is a sharp looking vehicle IMO. I am not much for cars, especially not the foreigns, but I would definitely take it if someone wanted to give me one. Doesn't look girlish to me. Miata...that is a chick car...that's worse than a neon I think. I wouldn't care if I got beat by a miata, I would just be glad I was not the sucker driving it

aquaknight

Well, it at least he got the right "R3" model.
Got to drive a couple of them at the Mazda Challenge I did. The thing with them more then anything else, is the ease-to-drive, or there lack of. You have to wind the dog snot out of them to go anywhere. Revving to 9000 rpm is quite fun around a track, or for occasional blasts down the road. But like having to sit and wait for the rpms to come to 7000, just to merge into traffic for instance, is a big turn off. Definitely not a "point and squirt" car. You can't just blip the throttle to go around someone, it's a planned procedure.

aw2x3

I'm coming in, unbiased opinion, as I have not read the thread.
Buy the 370Z, hands down...coming from a 350ZX Twin Turbo owner.
If there was another car I'd suggest...the Hyundai Genesis, two door...only for looks.
Nissan, all the way.

crypt keeper

Driving a semi fast Miata is still not cool. I am very biased. Imports suck. They cant do half the stuff an american car do without falling apart. My buddy has a 9 second honda civic that runs 151 in the 1320. Changes his tranny out after every few races. My other buddy has an 8 second 5.0 coupe that he drives to the track. In general Imports need to be driven harder to get the same result as say a corvette that will get 28 mpg on the highway if driven like a normal person. The each their own. I just dont understand why people consider Imports as "sports cars". They are sporty. But mod for mod displacemnet for displacement they get crushed. Everything goes out the window once you no longer leave it stock.

http:///forum/post/3139217
Driving a semi fast Miata is still not cool. I am very biased. Imports suck. They cant do half the stuff an american car do without falling apart. My buddy has a 9 second honda civic that runs 151 in the 1320. Changes his tranny out after every few races. My other buddy has an 8 second 5.0 coupe that he drives to the track. In general Imports need to be driven harder to get the same result as say a corvette that will get 28 mpg on the highway if driven like a normal person. The each their own. I just dont understand why people consider Imports as "sports cars". They are sporty. But mod for mod displacemnet for displacement they get crushed. Everything goes out the window once you no longer leave it stock.
My miata had over 300 000kms on it (thats over 186 411miles) and I used to rev it up to 8000rpm with no problems at all. Again... 300 000kms on it... original clutch and trans... took 15 pounds of boost on ORIGINAL STOCK internals... all with over 300 000kms... did I mention... it never burned a drop of oil? That was by far... the most reliable car I have ever owned and the fact that on a daily basis I drove the snot out of it and it didn't harm a thing has to say something about the car. I don't even care if it was girly or not.
PS... you can make them look less girly you know