What to do for possible power loss?

C

civileng68

In South Florida last year we lost all of our fish in Hurricane Charlie due to power failure for extended time. Can someone help me in the knowledge of an item to buy for my 29 gallong saltwater tank that may help prevent this during power loss times?

joker_ca

a battery operated air pump to circulate and add air to the water, also through a blanket over the tank to keep it from dropping in temp, also amquel is good to keep ammonia down during a power outage

sw65galma

Originally Posted by civileng68
In South Florida last year we lost all of our fish in Hurricane Charlie due to power failure for extended time. Can someone help me in the knowledge of an item to buy for my 29 gallong saltwater tank that may help prevent this during power loss times?

One word for all of the SW keepers in florida...Generator!
Most people have over $1,000 into thier tank...so a $500 generator to save $1000 isn't totally out of the question...
And it's not like the generator can't be used for other household things like the frig, lights, tv and such...sooo
I think it's a no brainer..and it's not like "oh maybe you won't get another hurricane" lol

bret61081

I WISH!! Sadly I livein a Condo and the old people run it!! nothing on the balcany gas powered. I have the battery operated air pump and 2 Computer Battery backups...last year they lasted about 5 hrs(had to deal with the beeping) but i had my airpump on it b4 I got the battery operated one. When they died I either charged them in the car or broguht them to work since I was out of powere for atleast 3 days each one! Good luck...looks to be an active season for us already!!

airforceb2

I know it sounds far fetched but it is possible--don't ask me how I know--you can get a 300W power inverter for your car and run an extension cord up to your tank. It is very unsightly and you have to keep your car running but if you can do it, it will save your investment. If you don't want to do this, get the inverter and recharge your UPS (you called it your computer backup) so you just alternate between units while the other charges.

bret61081

I never said anything about an extention cord from the tank to the car! Not sure where you got that from. But when the weather is around 90 and humid with no power...I like most Floridians Sat in my car with the AC on! I brought the Battery Backup to the car and let it charge while I was in it....not like there was anywhere to go so u just sit in your car and read or talk on the phone! I have the inverter...thats how I got it Charged...it was only like 40$ I think at Target...since I stated I live in a Condo I think it would be rather hard to run an extention cord from the parking garage to the 20th floor!

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Bret61081
I WISH!! Sadly I livein a Condo and the old people run it!! nothing on the balcany gas powered. I have the battery operated air pump and 2 Computer Battery backups...last year they lasted about 5 hrs(had to deal with the beeping) but i had my airpump on it b4 I got the battery operated one. When they died I either charged them in the car or broguht them to work since I was out of powere for atleast 3 days each one! Good luck...looks to be an active season for us already!!
I think after a hurricane and no ones got power, they might make an exception.
It's not like you're gonna run it everyday...It's the just in case..and it'd be only a few days at most...
I'd do it anyways...%-$* them!!
Or atleast ask them...."would i be ok if i ran a generator if we get hit with a hurricane only while we've lost power?" I can't see someone saying no.. :notsure:
Or just get a bigger UPS...I have a huge one...

See the box on the left of the tank...That's my Little one...Ihave another 3 times the size of that..
We took down our old data center and the new one had a new Huge ups so they were gonna throw these out..They had just been serviced and put new batteries in them... Huge deep cycle batteries.
I am looking into a generator though...we haven't lost power for more than a few hours and the batteries held up..

bret61081

Originally Posted by sw65galma
I think after a hurricane and no ones got power, they might make an exception.
It's not like you're gonna run it everyday...It's the just in case..and it'd be only a few days at most...
I'd do it anyways...%-$* them!!
Or atleast ask them...."would i be ok if i ran a generator if we get hit with a hurricane only while we've lost power?" I can't see someone saying no.. :notsure:
Or just get a bigger UPS...I have a huge one...

See the box on the left of the tank...That's my Little one...Ihave another 3 times the size of that..
We took down our old data center and the new one had a new Huge ups so they were gonna throw these out..They had just been serviced and put new batteries in them... Huge deep cycle batteries.
I am looking into a generator though...we haven't lost power for more than a few hours and the batteries held up..

Have you ever tried to argue with the Condo Comandos! they are all in their 60s-80s and have nothing to do besides sit and

[hr]
! trust me...I have tried to fight them, and always lose!
I am considering getting another one or larger one, but will prolly wait till I get a bigger tank...
Hows the Morish Idol doing?? You gonna try a Blue Ribbon next! I would LOVE one...the LFS down here have them all the time, but can't justify spending the 50$ on a fish which has 2% survival rate! Good luck with the Idol and keep us posted

airforceb2

since I stated I live in a Condo I think it would be rather hard to run an extention cord from the parking garage to the 20th floor!
Oh wow!!! The biggest condo here is 3 floors!! I retract my last statement on the extension cord!!

sw65galma

Have you ever tried to argue with the Condo Comandos! they are all in their 60s-80s and have nothing to do besides sit and

[hr]
I am considering getting another one or larger one, but will prolly wait till I get a bigger tank...
Hows the Morish Idol doing?? You gonna try a Blue Ribbon next! I would LOVE one...the LFS down here have them all the time, but can't justify spending the 50$ on a fish which has 2% survival rate! Good luck with the Idol and keep us posted
Oh well, looks like batteries it is then...
Idol is good...
I don't even know what a Blue Ribbon is...??

bret61081

Originally Posted by sw65galma
Oh well, looks like batteries it is then...
Idol is good...
I don't even know what a Blue Ribbon is...??
Blue Ribbon Eel

misslaina

Four days, no power. If I had 500 bucks to plop down on a generator I would, next big purchase, this past one was my tank lights, skimmer, powerheads , live rock. Anyway, I had a marine deep cycle battery, that powers a pump. Its called a fish saver you can get them at walmart in the fishing section they are pumps people put in live wells. Very cheep, like 6 or 7 bucks I think, also a airstone and pump that runs on 2 d batteries 5 bucks. I put a piece of glass right ove where the airstone was to cut down on salt creep. It worked for me, but if it is possible, a generator would be the way to go. It got unbelievably hot .

C

civileng68

[hr]

This is soooooo sooooooo true. I live in a somewhat high dollar condo complex and they dont care about power loss. Most of them are so old they leave their windows open all year anyways and power means nothing to them. They refuse ANYTHING gas powered on the lanai (patio).
I think I'll use the computer backup thing. GREAT IDEA!

volunteerg

i have a generator and unfortunately, while you are in the midst of the storm cannot run the generator since it needs to be either outdoors or in a well ventilated place.
we lost power for on thursday afternoon, my battery back-up only runs for 4-5 hours, so after that went out the tank sat without power for about 14 hours until the storm subsided. by that point i lost my tang, 2 clowns and 2 shrimp.
looks like i'll have to invest significant dollars in additional battery back-ups to continuously run the tank.

dogstar

I lost power for three and half days and did not loose any thing. I used one Penn Plax Silent Air B11 battery pump and about every two or three hours when I was awake I bailed some water from one end of my tank and dumped it hard into the other end. Like three gallons worth.
The guy at the LFS said the pump should run about 24 hrs on two Ds and it ran for 30 befor I changed the batteries.
Lucky we had clowdy days following the storm or the temp may have became an issue but it never got over 82 f.

bret61081

:mad:
Originally Posted by Dogstar
The guy at the LFS said the pump should run about 24 hrs on two Ds and it ran for 30 befor I changed the batteries.
Lucky we had clowdy days following the storm or the temp may have became an issue but it never got over 82 f.

my 2D batterys have been going since day one on 24/7...I dunno what kind mine is...I got it at Target on clearance in the fishing dept! it said for live bait but is been working fine for me. I've been using my magflaot to keep water moving along with my battery backup allowing the w/d to run for aobut 45 min 2-3 times a day...as many times as I can get it charged. Temp is now about 83.5 for me....going on day 6 with no power :mad: FPL said maybe tomorrow....but HOPEFULLY friday...grrrr....

dexter

After Ivan, the first 2 named storms this year (can't remember their names), Dennis and now Katrina ... I put a generator on my Lowes card last week. Best $700 I've spent so far. Kept tank running, TV, Fridge, lights, 4 fans, microwave, etc as Katrina brushed us this time. If you can get one, I'd advise it. You may be able to sneak a small on into your condo. Just enuff to run tank, fridge and TV.

Bret - have you tried some Ice in your filter? I did that to keep the temp down a little bit this weekend.
I pray for those less fortunate than us to my west.

Dxtr

bwilson

I was thinking about this the other day. I do have two battery powered air pumps but dont know if that will do. I have an idea that will not require a generater. I have an inverter that I bought at costco for about $40.00 it allows me to plug a normal 110 into my car. I know that gas is very expencive however I thought I could if need be run an extention cord from my car leave it running and power a pump and mabey a chiller or heater? Just a tought I will have to check into amps before I call it my back up plan.
BW