What to do with a Garder Snake in winter

hunt

I know theres some snake people on here so hopefully some of you guys/girls can help us out.
My aunt just called and she found a live garder snake in her house. She lives in Detroit MI (they just got a ton of snow from the storm). My aunt wont kill it so my question is, How do you get rid of one without killing it in the winter?

monsinour

animal control would probably work best. You might even be able to take it to a shelter. Ther eare shelters near me that handle cats, dogs, ferrets, birds, and sometimes snakes.

al&burke

I think they could kep it in a tote with some places for it to hide and maybe a light for a little warmth - feed it crickets from the pet store - then let it go in the spring.

2quills

I don't know where abouts in Detroit that your Aunt lives but there used to be a reptile shop called savannah exotic pets at 7 mile and middlebelt. If that's not there I know there used to be another petstore that carried alot of snakes on 8 mile near tellegraph. Maybe she can donate it to one of those or another pet store.

hunt

Thanks for the info, she called one of her friends who works at the humane society and her friend is going to call someone who will take it in until spring.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep it....its her best bet against rodents. Which, BTW, will also be trying to spend winter in the house but WON'T because of your aunt's unexpected guest. I'm always surprised at how many people don't know that snakes fulfill an immensely important role in keeping rodents at bay; so tell her, she may decide that 1 harmless snake beats hoards of cold rats seeking shelter in her house.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/383742/what-to-do-with-a-garder-snake-in-winter#post_3358474
Keep it....its her best bet against rodents. Which, BTW, will also be trying to spend winter in the house but WON'T because of your aunt's unexpected guest. I'm always surprised at how many people don't know that snakes fulfill an immensely important role in keeping rodents at bay; so tell her, she may decide that 1 harmless snake beats hoards of cold rats seeking shelter in her house.
Our cats do that for us just fine and we can snuggle with the cats.

monsinour

While not a fan of snakes, they dont bother me. I am sure there are people who do snuggle with their snakes. Snakes are just not for me. Our black long haired cat is an excellent mouser and has caught plenty in our house. Just wish he would do something else with the remains than leave them in the middle of the living room floor. I know its a "present" for us and he is showing us how much he loves us, but just eat it all or dont make such a mess that we cant tell where the head is.

flower

I agree with Beth, a grass snake is harmlss, and they can get in the tiny places a cat can't. Just let the snake go..99% of the time you won't even know it's there. It's not like it's a rattler or cobra, it's a good snake.