What to do with an injured stray?

al mc

Originally Posted by CPG
http:///forum/post/2536624
Try and look for a local no kill shelter, becuase I am 99.9% sure they will help you. I have a client who runs one, and they NEVER turn down a chance to help an animal..

Unfortunately, the original poster tried that and was turned away

agent-x

I'm really suprised the shelter didn't help. My wife works in a vets office and they regularly get in animal from the local shelter that people have found hit by a car or otherwise in a bad condition. They bring them in get them fixed up and try to adopt them. I think a kitten even one with only 3 feet would have still be adopted fairly quickly.

T

tizzo

Oh no, they didn't help at all! They said, "Unfortunately we're full!". And I remember saying to the woman, what am I supposed to do with this cat? Let it go so it can get infection and die anyway? She said, I don't know but we can't take it here. Which totally sucked cause I drove an hour across town to find that shelter.
But yeah, the dogs got the cat. At that point I realized the dogs were much to much for me to handle so I gave them to a man who owned boxers.
But our doorknobs were not the round ones, they kinda look like a sideways checkmark, and the dogs jumped on the door until they pawed the knob down on both my room and my bathroom doors. Getting into the closet was easy for them since it was a mirror sliding door. Then the cage was ALL OVER the closet! They litterally mauled it. Stupid dogs!!
You try to do something nice...
So I gave them away.

crashbandicoot

Soup came from a no kill shelter . His name was monty but my daughter thought soup was a better name .

Oreo was my Girlfriends and she got him as a kitten . He is a fat cat and the strange part is he refuses to eat people food and doesnt eat a lot of cat food .

T

tizzo

Your cat looks like my dog!! Who is also named Oreo. Now HE is the best dog on the planet! He won't even take food out of the kitchen.

K

kikithemermaid

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2534895
No really. I am curious cause a while back I saw this cute little kitten fall out from under a persons car. My dog went over to check it out and it didn't run away so I knew it was injured. When I walked up to it, it still had blue eyes so I knew it was young. The kittens paw was completely ripped off and hanging there by a bit of skin. I took it to the nearest vets office and they said that since I didn't own it, they weren't gonna fix it. So then I took it to the humane society and asked them to "put it down", they said of course they were a no kill shelter. I told them I couldn't keep it and if I simply let him go he would probably die of infection a slow painful death anyway, but they didn't budge.
So I took him to a friend of mine who's a vet and as a favor to me, he fixed it. Well, as a favor to me and experiment for himself.
But that was in Charlotte, and I have no vet friends here, and I assume most people do not have vet friends. So, just because I'm curious, what would I do if something like that happened here??
Maybe animal control?? What would you do?
First of all, that makes me happy that there are people who do help animals out there...I was a veterinary technician for three years and dealt with animal abusers and killers and even fellow employees who didn't kill a s***.
Sadly, animal control is the best bet. If you take him to a vet, you may come across someone who wants to take care of them until it can be adopted, or they will send it to animal control, but people there (at least where I was in Chicago) were really compassionate and did their best to find them good homes.
PS: I have a cat named Oreo too!

scsinet

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/2535685
Your "no-kill" shelter was very irresponsible for turning you away like that.
I agree... that's really weird. "No Kill" by definition usually means they won't euthanize animals simply because nobody adopts them. Every shelter still needs to euthanize animals for medical reasons... no shelter is truly "no kill."
A half amputated leg IMO constitutes a medical reason, but I guess if the shelter did not see that as sufficient reason to put it down then that would explain their answer.
Most vets are businesses... I haven't read to the end of the thread yet but I'm betting your going to end up paying the bill.

al mc

The 'no kill' shelters in my area are 'no kill', but that does not mean that they take in all animals. The secret about them (in my area) is that if they are 'full'
they will not take any more animals, regarldess of their condition. They are usually humane organizations that can set their own rules. If they find a completely 'unadoptable' pet that has been with them for a long time they take them to the local SPCA, who by law (again in my area) must take them in. If the SPCA can not adopt these pets out within a reasonable time they euthanise them. The SPCA looks like the 'bad guy' for all the euthanasias they perform and the 'no kill' shelter gets to keep it's 'record' of 'no kill' unblemished.

scsinet

I meant turning down his request to help euthanize the animal, simply on the basis that they are "no kill," not turning the animal away due to space. Even no kill shelters euthanize on a medical basis.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2537690
I meant turning down his request to help euthanize the animal, simply on the basis that they are "no kill," not turning the animal away due to space. Even no kill shelters euthanize on a medical basis.

I honestly can't even remember if the woman behind the desk asked to even look at the cat. I had him in a shoe box. The vet I took him to looked. Which was kind of disturbing because they knew they were not going to take it from the moment I walked in, so they wanted to see out of curiosity only.
But I wanna think I took the cat into the HS and explained the scanario and the woman didn't even look.
I wrote a letter to action 9 news about it, but they never responded. I guess they are big funders of the humane society. Each night they advertise a selected animal for adoption.
go figure.

al mc

http:///forum/post/2537690
No problem, I did not take or mean to give any offense. My own personal 'axe to grind' about 'no kills' versus SPCAS.

scsinet

It's hard for me to imagine being that cold... having someone come in with a kitten who needs help that badly and not giving it the time of day... but I'm a total animal lover (you can have my dog when you take her from my cold dead hands kind of animal lover) so maybe my/our perspective is skewed. I guess when you see this kind of thing day in and day out you learn to establish some emotional distance.

al mc

http:///forum/post/2537999
I guess when you see this kind of thing day in and day out you learn to establish some emotional distance.
SCSI..I love what I do, but this is the hardest thing to deal with in my line of work. It is my policy to help any animal that comes through our door..stray or not....The real dicotomy for me is that I have many clients, like you, that would do anything for their pet, or a stray animal, and others that are looking for me to be their 'preist' and absolve them of guilt if they want to euthanise their animal despite the fact that they can be treated.

scsinet

I had no idea you were a vet... never checked your profile.
A noble profession indeed... particularly with your ideology.

My grandparents on my mother's side... they used to live in Wisconsin back when I did. Some years back... maybe a good 20 or more, my grandfather decided he wanted to move to Florida to a retirement country club golf community. They didn't allow dogs. So they took their dog in and had it put to sleep so they wouldn't have to bother with it. I loved my grandparents, but I'm glad that I didn't find out the truth about where that dog went until my best years with them was behind me (I was originally told the dog was sick). What they did... it's so horrible... I have to say it's called into question how I feel about them in general as people. It's people who do this that make me sick to my stomach.... that look at dogs and cats as things that can be destroyed or abandoned as needed.
Sorry to get my hearstrings going... your comment about euthanizing despite ability to be treated just reminded me of that.

phelpz

I had to take a kitten to the human society to be put down about a year and a half ago.
It was maybe 8 weeks old, and someone had stepped on its head by accident. It was late at night and we all thought it would die right away. There wasnt anywhere to take it at that hour. When I was leaving for work the next morning I had seen it was still alive, and panicked. I took it to a vets office, and they said that it would be at least $500 to fuse its jaw back together. No one had $500 right then and there, so she told us to take him to the humane society to be put down. The vet also went on about how she thought it wasnt an accident. It was dark outside and he didnt see it. He would never have done something like that. I was about to knock the b out.....
It was pretty sad.
The first vet office I went to told me if I brought it in I would then be considered its owner.
This threads kinda sad.

guille

This is how I ended up with Lola the cat. She was dumped at a busy gas station in Ga. dead of summer, no shade no plce to hide. It took me an hour to get her out of the underside of a pick up bound for New Orleans. Ruined a nice shirt, got bit, ended up with another cat lol.

al mc

Originally Posted by Guille
http:///forum/post/2538811
This is how I ended up with Lola the cat. She was dumped at a busy gas station in Ga. dead of summer, no shade no plce to hide. It took me an hour to get her out of the underside of a pick up bound for New Orleans. Ruined a nice shirt, got bit, ended up with another cat lol.
Your a hero in my book! Nice way to end this thread on a happy note!