What to do

bellanavis

Today, one of my big dogs attacked my new 15 month puppy, it was either my boxer, or my pitbull. We don't know for sure which one, if not both did it, but we are pretty sure it was the pitbull, but again, we don't know for sure. She might not make it, we find out tomorrow, she is at the vet now. I don't know what to do, we don't know what really happened, and not that this is an excuse, but the puppy is always messing with and biting the 2 big dogs. My pitbull has a big scratch on her nose. Both the big dogs had blood on them. I really don't know what to do, I am so upset. Anyone ever been in this situation?

bellanavis

Do you think it will happen again, should I take the pitt/rotti back to the pound? I don't want the puppy to get hurt again, if she makes it, but I don't want to give up my other dog either, I love her. I am really stressing, I don't know what to do? What would you do in this situation?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
Do you think it will happen again, should I take the pitt/rotti back to the pound? I don't want the puppy to get hurt again, if she makes it, but I don't want to give up my other dog either, I love her. I am really stressing, I don't know what to do? What would you do in this situation?
what would i do ?
i would have to take the pit to the pound, if it did it once it will do it again and whats not to say it wont happen to a child or someone elses dog.i wouldnt want that responsibility.

30-xtra high

may i ask what kind of puppy it is??, i mean.. if its another big breed, i'd say split the house.. like keep the puppy upstairs, and the pit and boxer downstairs, untill the puppy is big enough to fend for itself.., and i don't see how it would be right to take the pit to the pound.. if somebody smaller than you attacked you.. you'd fight back, it's really not his/her fault.. and she doesn't deserve to go to the pound.., my aunt was in this situation..sort of, she had an old choloate lab, and she got a kitten, and went to the kitchen to make dinner, and came back and the lab had cuts on his face, and the kitten was dead on the ground with a broken neck.. she got the lab put down, and i didn't see how that was right.. but your call, not mine..

petjunkie

Well honestly both your breeds of dogs can be dog aggressive and should be kept as the only dog or that's the chance you run. I love the bully breeds and plan on getting one for a pet eventually but I won't risk keeping other dogs and am waiting until my cat passes away. As you don't know which dog did it, it's rather hard to make any kind of decision but I would consider kenneling one while the other is out or finding a different home for one to avoid fights from happening again. Maybe your humane society could hook you up with a dog behavorist.

shogun323

Originally Posted by watson3
Two types of people have pit bulls......

You could call the Dog Whisperer to find out the emotions and feelings of both your pets. In all seriousness, I would take the dog to the pound. It isn't worth the risk!!! Good Luck!!

judyk

If you haven't had problems with the dogs in the past, I would give up the puppy. I've never had good luck with three dogs. The weakest always gets picked on. Even if they got along, you've created a pack. The --- of the animals and if they are neutered makes a difference also. This is just from my experience.

renogaw

yea, take the pitbull back to the pound so it can get killed. good idea. unfortunately you put a newcommer into the house. how long was it there before you let them be alone? how well are your dogs sociallized with other dogs?
i don't agree that it is solely because you put another dog into the mix. when my wife's famliy gets together, we have up to 9 dogs in any house. most likely it was more of a dominance thing, and one of the dogs got too crazy because of the breeds.
and i hate it when people say bring the dog to the pound cause it could attack a kid. introducing a new dog to a pack will result in dominance wars. espeically if the new dog is not neutered and there are males. this is what happened, and the puppy couldn't defend itself. shark's advice of seperating the dogs is probably the best advise given so far.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by renogaw
yea, take the pitbull back to the pound so it can get killed. good idea.
good idea

and i hate it when people say bring the dog to the pound cause it could attack a kid. introducing a new dog to a pack will result in dominance wars. espeically if the new dog is not neutered and there are males. this is what happened, and the puppy couldn't defend itself. shark's advice of seperating the dogs is probably the best advise given so far.
lets worry about an animal who cares about kids right

ophiura

The shelter is also an easy solution, IMO...and should be a last resort. There are loads of rescue groups out there that are likely to be willing to help, if you will work with them. They can place the animal in a home without other dogs.
I am interested to know how long they were left together...how new was the puppy?
I would suggest also seeing an animal behaviorist or similar - yes, like the dog whisperer...funny, but if you've watched the animals he has worked with, he has done wonders and probably kept a whole lot of dogs from getting put down.
IMO, you have an obligation to put a bit more time, money and effort into this situation before just taking a dog to the pound (quite likely to its death). But that is JMO.

reefreak29

yes thats good advice but they have humane shelters that wil not put thedog down and will find a suitable home with no dogs or kids

30-xtra high

i would still like to know what breed of dog.. if its like.. a lab, or golden retriever.. just keep the pit, and seperate them till the other dog grows..but if you went and got a yorkie or pug.. then that just wasn't very smart..
the pound is not an option.. my guess is you care about dogs.. and you should know its just not right.. and people don't get pitbulls from shelters.. except for people that fight them.. and nobody wants that to happen.. i think the only reponsible thing to do would be either seperate them, or give the pit to somebody you actually know..

reefreak29

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
i would still like to know what breed of dog.. if its like.. a lab, or golden retriever.. just keep the pit, and seperate them till the other dog grows..but if you went and got a yorkie or pug.. then that just wasn't very smart..
the pound is not an option.. my guess is you care about dogs.. and you should know its just not right.. and people don't get pitbulls from shelters.. except for people that fight them.. and nobody wants that to happen.. i think the only reponsible thing to do would be either seperate them, or give the pit to somebody you actually know..