what to do?

saltfinsax

I got this frag a couple weeks ago and have had it close to the top and good curent. Lights are Nove extreme pro's , water seems to be perfect but the temp has been changeing about 5 deg up and down. It still seems to be putting out its little fans to feed but its dieing. Is it tost or is there a way to frag it down further to save it?

bang guy

Can you list more details about your equipment and water parameters?
The dark purple color of the coraline I see indicates either moderate lighting or a very young tank. That coral requires intense lighting, the type of lighting that dark purple coraline doesn't thrive under.
The damage I see to the coral is what I would expect from a bad shipping experience, insufficient lighting, high phosphates, or low alkalinity. Or, all of the above...

saltfinsax

Ok guess I should check that a little more often.
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 520
err auh hardness hate to say 89.5
PH 8.1
The lights are Nova extreme pros bulbs 3 months old coral is about 8 in from the lights. The tank is about 5 months old but the 80% of the 120lb of rock came out of my 55 that was ten years old.
I am guessing the hardness got away from me. Off to get that fixxed hard to think everything else would be doing so well and just that one would show signs. Think it will come back ok?

gatorwpb

you hvae to remember that sps are much more affected by fluctuation in water parameters.
it should come back fine if you can bring the alk back in check without too drastic a change. my first sps was an encrusting monti and it experienced some alk burn, but once i got alk in line, the monti did great.
ever since, ive been hooked on sps.

bang guy

Originally Posted by SaltfinSax
http:///forum/post/2684037
I am guessing the hardness got away from me. Off to get that fixxed hard to think everything else would be doing so well and just that one would show signs. Think it will come back ok?
I think it has an excellent chance of coming back if you can gradually raise Alkalinity. Your other water parameters look great except for Calcium. A large water change should help both parameters at the same time and then you can start adding a couple tablespoons of Baking Soda to your topoff water to bring Alkalinity back up.
Also, I forgot to mention waterflow (sorry). Very high waterflow is needed.