What type of salt do you use?

lol

Hah, PEZ, you still have that same old avatar. Nice.

Be careful too... don't mix synthetic salt into natural salt... it can nuke your tank. If your going to start with IO or Red Sea or whatever,... stay with that brand for the duration of the tanks life to avoid any mishaps.

I know when I start my dream SPS tank up, I'm going Tropic Marin all the way!

meowzer

YEAH...I have used IO for the last 2 years...I recently bought some reef crystals....not sure of any difference yet....may be too soon to tell

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol http:///forum/thread/379671/what-type-of-salt-do-you-use/20#post_3301256

Hah, PEZ, you still have that same old avatar. Nice.

Be careful too... don't mix synthetic salt into natural salt... it can nuke your tank. If your going to start with IO or Red Sea or whatever,... stay with that brand for the duration of the tanks life to avoid any mishaps.

I know when I start my dream SPS tank up, I'm going Tropic Marin all the way!

You can change salt brands without mishaps. To do so, change salts slowly.
I've changed salts a few times without issues. To stay with a salt that you're having an issue with would be a bigger mishap.

rlablan

I've used the regular and the reef. Used the regular for a long time and switched to the reef recently. Always had good luck with IO and it is a lot cheaper.

btldreef

Questions for those of you that claim you had no issues with regular Instant Ocean:

How many of you have reefs?
Of those that have reefs, how many have SPS or clams?
How many of you that have reefs needed to dose things suck as alkalinity and calcium?

I ask this because I found that Instant Ocean was "okay" but I needed to dose so much more than just switching to a more adequate salt. Instant Ocean themselves will tell you to use IO for FOWLR tanks or soft coral tanks, or tanks with not much coral and Reef Crystals for reef systems. I've tried a lot of salts and thus far AquaVitro Salinity is the best bang for the buck and I'm seeing amazing results.

meowzer

I have used regular IO ....I have 3 tanks that are reefs....2 with sps....the 29G has a clam, and I have never dosed anything

My calcium runs about 460, and alk around 11....I forget..lol...

I bought some IO reef crystals and was gonna switch over....still had IO regular too though, when I ordered a new box of reef, I mistakenly clicked the wrong one and got another IO regular....so I am gonna use that and then order the reef crystals again.....not sure why...LOL....sine all my stuff runs good with the regular....I guess just so I can say I use it