What type of shark?

hey, I know an okay bit about sharks and have been trying to find a spotted catshark and i think i may have found one but he doesn't have a picture and so i typed in the scientific name provided but didnt find an exact species or type. But here''s the scientific name of the shark and it is Atelomycterus Sp. supposedly this is a spotted catshark.
Also if anybody has a spotted catshark for sale please tell me.

psusocr1

the Atelomycterus is just a genus which provides many sharks, cat family basically coral cats, marble cats etc. there all over for sale but its not allowed to give places out on this forum as well as none of us knowing what size tank, tankmates etc. etc

i have the 55 to put the shark in since its a baby and then he will later move into my 150 gallon aquarium but within the next 3 months i will have a 240 gallon tank running for my shark.
But i do not wanna get a marbled catshark ( because there nocturnal) i want acctual spotted catshark which are pretty hard to come by.

robn

I don't know of any benthic (bottom dwelling) small sharks that are not nocturnal.....most all sharks are more active at night....

crimzy

Even nocturnal sharks will become conditioned to be more active around feeding. If you feed your shark in the middle of the day then eventually it will become active for a couple hours before and after feeding.

mike22cha

Oh ya, a great white would go great in a 240g!
The Jaws is a great white on steroids! They are very big, very active, and need a lot to eat. Monterey had two at seperate times and that was the first anytime great whites have been in captivity.

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Oh ya, a great white would go great in a 240g!
The Jaws is a great white on steroids! They are very big, very active, and need a lot to eat. Monterey had two at seperate times and that was the first anytime great whites have been in captivity.

Did you happen to see them. I would love to see a Great White up close but out of reach.

mike22cha

I saw one, but I was little, the shark was small. I didn't really grasp the huge size of these sharks till watching shark week last week and comparing it to the back of a boat and a shark cage.

brenden

You claim to know lots about Sharks, however I can ensure you, you know nothing about Sharks until you have first hand experience. With that aside, your 55 is not going to work for more than a few months. Why not wait until you have the 240 before you purchase a Shark. Half the time people claim they will upgrade and they do not. A Brown Banded Bamboo will not work in a 240, you will need atleast 350 gallons perferable 400. So really do you know alot about Sharks? Don't mean to sound rude I just want to help you out. All Sharks which are catergorized as bethnic Sharks are nocturnal so you will not find a very active " free swimming" Shark. Why not wait until your a little bit older and have the funds to properly house these amazing fish.

Originally Posted by Brenden
You claim to know lots about Sharks, however I can ensure you, you know nothing about Sharks until you have first hand experience. With that aside, your 55 is not going to work for more than a few months. Why not wait until you have the 240 before you purchase a Shark. Half the time people claim they will upgrade and they do not. A Brown Banded Bamboo will not work in a 240, you will need atleast 350 gallons perferable 400. So really do you know alot about Sharks? Don't mean to sound rude I just want to help you out. All Sharks which are catergorized as bethnic Sharks are nocturnal so you will not find a very active " free swimming" Shark. Why not wait until your a little bit older and have the funds to properly house these amazing fish.

Im getting a grey bamboo shark and they only reach up to 30 in. and also i do have the funding.
But the shark i was and still am thinkin about is a baby so he will prob. stay in there till he gets a little bigger and after i teach him how to eat right also it will help him not have to use up calories and etc. looking for food in a big tank.

psusocr1

i kept a grey bamboo for a decent amount of time( hes only gone because i had to relocate for work or iw ould still have him). when i got him he was only about 8-10 inches.. a year later he was over 18- 20 and it was time for me to upgrade already.. THUS dont waste your time just get a 4-500 gallon( or at leat an 8 foot long tank by 4-5 foot wide if not he will be very uncomfortable after evan a years time if fed properly!!!.. and make wise tankmate decisions because grey bamboos are straight NASTY when they feed.. i would have at least 1 injury in my tank almost every feeding until i figured out how to avoid it...
also the above post from you is not a good one.. you cant "tach" a shark how to eat right and how to burn less calories ina big tank... they should be eating like pigs and swimming alot,, thats how you know you have a happy shark..
sharks, once again if fed properly and housed int he right size tank from young IMO will grow VERY fast and VERY quick, just like they do in the wild
also grey bamboos are extremely hard to find, but if you have a source thats good.. dont let someone tell you its a grey and its really another type of bamboo shark..

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i kept a grey bamboo for a decent amount of time( hes only gone because i had to relocate for work or iw ould still have him). when i got him he was only about 8-10 inches.. a year later he was over 18- 20 and it was time for me to upgrade already.. THUS dont waste your time just get a 4-500 gallon( or at leat an 8 foot long tank by 4-5 foot wide if not he will be very uncomfortable after evan a years time if fed properly!!!.. and make wise tankmate decisions because grey bamboos are straight NASTY when they feed.. i would have at least 1 injury in my tank almost every feeding until i figured out how to avoid it...
also the above post from you is not a good one.. you cant "tach" a shark how to eat right and how to burn less calories ina big tank... they should be eating like pigs and swimming alot,, thats how you know you have a happy shark..
sharks, once again if fed properly and housed int he right size tank from young IMO will grow VERY fast and VERY quick, just like they do in the wild
also grey bamboos are extremely hard to find, but if you have a source thats good.. dont let someone tell you its a grey and its really another type of bamboo shark..

i know i am pretty lucky.. but what other shark suggestions would you make?

mike22cha

Never heard of a spotted catshark until I looked it up and never seen it for sale. The only catsharks I've seen for sale are marbleds and coral cats.