What type of shark?

robn

On my 480 I had them "round-off" the overflows by putting them in the corners at a 45 degree angle, thus minimizing the amount of 90 degree angles in the tank.....it's not true rounding but it's close.....sharks/rays don't much appreciate 90 degree angles......just a thought for your tank design.

Originally Posted by robn
On my 480 I had them "round-off" the overflows by putting them in the corners at a 45 degree angle, thus minimizing the amount of 90 degree angles in the tank.....it's not true rounding but it's close.....sharks/rays don't much appreciate 90 degree angles......just a thought for your tank design.
Ya once i do get the tank i will have the overflow on each side

brenden

To do this whole system properlly, you are looking at spending around $8,000 - $10,000 depending on a few different things. If you do not have the funds to do it right, its best to wait so you can do it right later on.

Originally Posted by Brenden
To do this whole system properlly, you are looking at spending around $8,000 - $10,000 depending on a few different things. If you do not have the funds to do it right, its best to wait so you can do it right later on.
Ya i have added up what it is gonna cost to get the tank stand, canopy, overflows, sump tank, top s, etc and it will cost like almost 3,000 after shipping thats without sand, lights, protien skimmer, and UV steralizer so im gonna have to sell my gocart my 150 someday and keep savin and workin.
But if im gonna do it im gonna do it right

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Seriously? My 270g is only going to cost me 1500$, I figured. 6'x3'x2'.
Are you getting like the sump tank plus builtins
and stand and canopy?

Originally Posted by Brenden
My 330 gallon with everything except livestock ran me $15,000 cdn.
Wow what type of tank is it?

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
Are you getting like the sump tank plus builtins
and stand and canopy?
No. I'm going to build my own stand so that I can fit my QT and have shevles for supplies under there, and no sump. I'm going to convert a wet/dry filter into a sump.
I figured without livestock it's going to cost me 4000$. Livestock will be another 1000$.

mike22cha

Cool. I'm going to get a big canister filter (somewhere around 2000gph) and try to get a closed loop system I think it's called?
Basicly the outake will be run through pvc and I'll use run those pvc pipes along the back to get a good flow going.

psusocr1

hey mike,
you really dont need all that much flow for a shark tank..cloose loop wouldnt really be neccessary , you can get away with some powerheads IMO and save on electricity

mike22cha

Well it would also help with filtration I figured. They need a huge turnover rate and I think it'd be a cool project.
I was also thinking of putting corals on a rock wall in the back.
Of course that'd be after a while when I could recover money wise after getting the tank setup by itself, LOL.

psusocr1

a cloose loop system just takes water from your tank through a pump and back through the tank pushing water around, not filtering anything.
its not so much flow as it is skimming, that to me is the most important thing ona shark/ ray tank
but sharks and rays dont need alot of flow especially because rays bury themselves so 1) they liek to stay coverd witht he sand instead of it blowing and 2) you need a DSB for the rays which once again blows sand everywhere! and the bottom dwelling sharks like to lay in calm caves until feeding time or the occasional swim..i started with 25X then as i observed pushed it down to 15x because it was too much for them IMO
corals in a shark/ray tank is a bad idea, i tried it once it lasted for about two days until every 20 minutes iw as picking them up out of the sand.. sharks and rays when swimming like to "hover" over the rocks, thus knocking corals over and potentially stinging them depending on the coral, or the corals dies from laying in the sand.. its hard enough to try and keep your rocks in place with a shark let alone corals..
once again im not trying to dog on you and say your ideas are bad, just telling you what i know from keeping sharks and rays and my experiences with them

Cool. I'm going to get a big canister filter (somewhere around 2000gph) and try to get a closed loop system I think it's called?
Basicly the outake will be run through pvc and I'll use run those pvc pipes along the back to get a good flow going.

Thats cool i just hate the noise especially since my tank is in my bedroom.
Also after a couple of years you'll have to replace them.

Well it would also help with filtration I figured. They need a huge turnover rate and I think it'd be a cool project.
I was also thinking of putting corals on a rock wall in the back.
Of course that'd be after a while when I could recover money wise after getting the tank setup by itself, LOL.
You got that right this hobby will suck you dry

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
Thats cool i just hate the noise especially since my tank is in my bedroom.
Also after a couple of years you'll have to replace them.
What will I have to replace?
Ok but that canister is supposed to filter correct. I may not do the closed loop system. I'll talk about it some other people and get a second opinon.
Also I'm not getting a ray since they need fed once a day and I'm trying to keep it to everyother day.