What went wrong?

N

nyc joe

Today I wake up to find 2 seahorses dead.
My largest preggers one (big black)
and my smallest one (mini)
both are stiff as a board, still hitched but rock hard, getting picked at by the tiny glass shrimp I have for food. They are not breathing, moving, nothing. I triple checked. no spike in ammonia or anything.
there was nothing to show that they were sick, in fact they all ate happily yesterday. today, dead.
All parameters are fine. nit-10
needless to say I am very sad.
The other 2.
seem to be sluggish today now.
I have noticed the female twitching.
I had a breeder tank set up for some babies, which just became a QT hospital tank. not so funny how a turn of events it became the opposite.
I grabbed both horses out of the DT and put them in the QT.
I did a formalin dip, for 30 mins before putting them in a methelyne blue solution in the QT. they both perked right up.
They just ate some frozen, and i siphoned up the leftovers.
I dropped the temp to 68. have some fake plastic plants so they can hide and hitch. I have 2 airlines going with a sponge filter, that i keep in my sump (bio). They seem to be doing fine, no more twitching. but they do appear sluggish. maybe due to the drop in temp.
I do have other fish in the tank. 60 cube with 20 gal sump. a pair of firefish, 1-pink spot, 1-bangaii. a pistol, and a few small glass shrimp as feeders, they get taken down once in a while. All is fine here and not one of them is acting out of the ordinary.
So what went wrong?
Tank is a little over 8 months old, was cycled and prepped for 2 of those months. I keep my tank at 74. this is what it always is in the house and the tank. I do not have a chiller or a skimmer. I run a fan if it goes above 74, on a controller, its almost never on. Ive been blessed. ( i think, but, not so much now) all params are fine, and always been fine, I test every 2 weeks. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks.
im guessing vibrio, since ive read on seahorse.org that, fine one day, dead the next, may be a symptom. Maybe bacteria, or a parasite? both?
Please help, am I doing something wrong? I dont want to lose the other 2. I really wanted to raise the babies.
Constructive criticism welcome.
Thanx
-Joe

teresaq

Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like you have a handle on it, and I am hoping Ann or Dan will show up. I have no experiance with illnesses.
T

N

nyc joe

Well today woke up early for a water change.
The other 2 are gone.
Man, I'm really sad.
Well now they are all gone.
Still wondering what happened.
Looking for opinions suggestions
thank you all.

teresaq

wow, soo sorry. I've had it happen with no clue as to why.
Were they captive bred?? Did you add anything to your tank lately??
T

N

nyc joe

I added a cabbage leather to the tank 10 days ago.
I still have them in the QT.
I refuse to give up, doubtful but im hoping they just spring to life. On closer inspection, there is absolutely no sign of sickness, they look fine, but stiff as a board.
upon reading more, i find that the whole tank can be contaminated. what do i do now?
-Joe

novahobbies

This is similar to what happened to mine when they passed. First one, then the other, within 48 hours of each other. The first one had a warning of going off his food for about 36 hours or so, the second one didn't even give me that much warning. I think it may have been an internal pathogen as well. I have a feeling yours may have succumbed to a similar bacterial infection.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

dingus890

I am so sorry for your losses. We have all been there and know how hard this is. I agree seahorses are still a mystery. One day they seem fine and the next are gone.
Again so sorry

garick

cabbage leathers can supposedly put off toxins against other corals. Not certain that they affect fish/animals though.

N

nyc joe

any one care to comment or speculate what happened?
if it is vibrio, what can i do.
columnarius, what can i do.
I believe it may be one of these 2
maybe some expert can shine some light on this?
Thanx
-Joe

teresaq

I forgot one of the most important questions, what species and where did they come from.
Ann and Dan are who we usually turn to for illness help, but they arent always on here.

ann83

Yes, what species, where were they from, and how long had you had them?
When is the last time that you checked ammonia, nitrite and pH? When is the last time you checked the temperature?
Have you taken any equipment offline recently, removed equipment, changed anything? Have you changed the pattern of surface agitation?
Have you added anything new in the last week? Fish, corals, inverts, rock, sand, equipment, water treatments/additives, anything?
Has anything been sprayed or painted anywhere around the tank in the last week?
Have any of the seahorses been showing any symptoms? Were they all still eating well? Were there any white patches? Stiff tails? Heavy breathing? Twitching? Lethargy?
It is odd to have all 4 seahorses die within 24 hours without there being some sort of stressor or initial symptoms.

danu

If this was bacterial or parasitic, I would have expected some signs or symptoms ahead of time and some differences in time of when they would have expired. Given that the first 2 ate and acted normal the night before and then expired followed by the other 2 two shortly thereafter, I would suspect some type of environmental issue.
We still have a lot to learn about these creatures. They are sensitive to things that some other fish are not. I don't enough about corals to speculate if they release toxins that effect seahorses.
Some other things to consider, is any spraying for pests, housecleaning products that could have been airborne or any other possible contaminate.
Dan

N

nyc joe

Answers
Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3209224
Yes, what species, where were they from, and how long had you had them?
Erectus. had them for a month. The person I got them from quarantined them with Cupramine(sp)
When is the last time that you checked ammonia, nitrite and pH? When is the last time you checked the temperature?
Last week, all was fine. all params are in check and have been since.
Have you taken any equipment offline recently, removed equipment, changed anything? Have you changed the pattern of surface agitation?
Nope
Have you added anything new in the last week? Fish, corals, inverts, rock, sand, equipment, water treatments/additives, anything?
Added a cabbage coral about 2 and a half weeks ago, the seemed to love it hitching etc. had feather dusters on it.
Has anything been sprayed or painted anywhere around the tank in the last week?
Nope
Have any of the seahorses been showing any symptoms? Were they all still eating well? Were there any white patches? Stiff tails? Heavy breathing? Twitching? Lethargy?
Everyone was eating very well. till day of. 2 were twitching.
It is odd to have all 4 seahorses die within 24 hours without there being some sort of stressor or initial symptoms.
There are peps and a camel shrimp in there, could those be problems, the camel got big, peps are small, thought they would be eaten.

N

nyc joe

Thank you Ann and DanU.
I really appreciate it, I do want to give these guys another shot as they were extremely enjoyable.
Just want to make sure the tank is ok.
all other fish are OK.
Should i do anything to the tank to prepare for their return?
They will be making a comeback in a few months as I increase the FUNDS.

teresaq

I would leave the tank fallow for a while just to be sure.
Buy from a rep breeder, I know a few. Glad to hear you will make a come back. I know how hard it is, I have lost my herd twice from tank crash. The four I have now have been with me for 6 mo now.
T

N

nyc joe

Oh and I would like to thank you too Teresa,
Youve always been in my threads helping out!
Yea, so I will just leave it for a while. still have fish in there but im gonna let things calm down a bit then try again.
I wanna keep these guys for the long haul...

danu

It is possible for corals to carry bacteria and the for the new addition to have been a carrier. No way on knowing for sure.
The suggestion of going fallow for a while is a good one. Keep the tank as pristine as possible during this time frame.
Dan

N

nyc joe

going fallow, and just waiting it out.
They will be back soon folks..