Whats eating my Mushrooms

maxalmon

I've been paying a lot of attention to these mushrooms, because it seems like everyday there is a new baby somewhere on the rock, Sofar I've counted 9 on this rock, I've been photographing this rock almost every day, here are the before and after pictures from last night and this morning, It looks like something just went in and tore this guy to pieces, there were little green chunk kinda floating around. You can see a chunk of him hanging down, I pulled the rock out and have it in a floating q tank inside my main tank. What would do this, a crab or ?

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by maxalmon
I've been paying a lot of attention to these mushrooms, because it seems like everyday there is a new baby somewhere on the rock, Sofar I've counted 9 on this rock, I've been photographing this rock almost every day, here are the before and after pictures from last night and this morning, It looks like something just went in and tore this guy to pieces, there were little green chunk kinda floating around. You can see a chunk of him hanging down, I pulled the rock out and have it in a floating q tank inside my main tank. What would do this, a crab or ?

We dont know whats in your tank

Can you list inhabitants?
Your best bet, is to check them at night with a moon light, or a flashlight to see if anything is picking.

maxalmon

50lb LR, 40lb LS, 15 zoo colonys, 2 mushrooms, 10 blue leg hermits, 12 turbos, 1 Sand Sifting Seastar, 1 yellow damsel.

bang guy

I would suggest looking at the tank a couple of hours after lights out to see it you have some type of Bristleworm eating your mushrooms.

sato

Did this happen very rapidly? Meaning was it fine the when you went to sleep and then when you woke up it looked like that, and is it recovering or did it die within the day?
I know that there is a form of RTN(rapid tissue necrosis) that can attack shrooms but it usually will completely melt the mushroom into a ball of goo within 6 hours. If this is what it is your best bet is to use a small airline tube to suck the mushroom out and the surrounding rocks clean and then do a small water change.

maxalmon

No slime, it's not melting nor is it recovering from anything. It was perfectly happy and content yesterday evening, the reason why I know this is because I've been watching these two shrooms with fascination because I keep finding new babies all over the rock. The pink line points to a .25x.50" chunk that looks healthy, no slime, good color put it's just kinda ripped from the main body. The pink circular area is the worst, looks like a lawn mower ran over it, no slime and the mushroom hasn't retracted, weird...

jakebtc

may have a lil nasty hitch hiker you don't know about
Doubt it's a bristle worm unless it's a gigantic one

maxalmon

Should I wait a couple of hours after lights out, or will he come out right away, assuming this is the trouble maker. Should I pull all my zoo's out?

bang guy

A couple hours after the lights go out should do it. If this is the culprit then you'll want to try to pull the rock it's living in. Murphy's Law dictates that it will be living in the rock at the bottom of your reef.

bang guy

If you get lucky you may find it out in the open and be able to remove it. Do not grab it with bare fingers, the bristles are mildly venomous.

maxalmon

I did the google for Hermodice carunculata and found a ton of info, If he's the one guess I'll try and scoop him up or something, are thet fast or slow?

bang guy

They are fast for a few inches, then fairly slow. If it's near it's hole it will be very fast.
Of course, it could be one of a dozen other animals that's actually the problem. The damage looks like what I've seen this guy do though.

pclown

Hey max, I am sorry to butt in, but I want to know if I can get a frag of zoos from you. I tried to email and I could not.